What's new

AR-15 red dot zero for home defense

Case in point... Recently I shot a match that had a bunch of paper targets at 7-10 yards, and a few full size steel silhouettes at 500-600 yards. I dialed my rear sight up (yeah irons) to my 500 yard zero.... 12moa UP. At 10 yards my point of impact was only 1" high from the sight. If there had been a 25 yards target it would have only been 3" high.... But at a mere 100 yards I would have been a foot high over my sight. So "up close" it really doesn't matter what your sight setting is, but if your zero percent probability ever turns into a .000001 you are far better off with a farther zero. Kinda like the chance of needing a fire extinguisher in a rain forest is almost zero untill your jeep lights on fire😁
Now with that in mind.... If you have a Mini-14, and I have a regular M-14, who has the mega-14?🤣

I'm holdin' out for the MAGA-14...

Ya'll put a lot of thought into home defense firearms.

I keep every firearm in my house one in the chamber & fully loaded, and all the spare mags ready for use,

except the muzzleloader that is, figure I run outta ammo and have to use muzzleloaders, then I was a fuckall whom didn't stock enough ammo and reloading components when I had the chance.

most my shotguns are loaded 00 & slugs, so I figure I'm good out to at least 100 yards, rifles for any farther,

shit multiple vehicles a year fall into the bar ditches on my road & drive, even the fedex and amazon vans have gotten stuck.

I always have my sidearm on when I outside, lots of townies neighbors living out here nowadays and they all got dogs that pack up and cruise the hood.

not great with a handgun, but I'm good enough.

Do you zero your shotguns and rifles?

I sight them in, they tend to hit where I aim as long as I do my part

At what yardage are they sighted in/zeroed?

Centerfire rifles are 300,

Most my shotguns are beads and couple sighted ones 1.5" high at 50 with slugs.