What's new

Reloading 40s&w

Kwaynem

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I was digging around and found a box of moly coated 40-155-RNF bullets and I have some CFE pistol I don’t have much experience with pistol so I watched a few videos but when I get the seating die set up in noticed my OAL varies by .005 I wasn’t sure if this is a problem and I need to adjust the die every time then go back and crimp or what is better or ok I’m doing this on a single stage press

Are you seating and crimping in the same stage?

How do the OAL of the bullets vary from bullet to bullet?

Right seating stem? Ex: RN bullet not being seating with a flat stem

I tried a few seating and crimping the same time after watching one video can’t remember his name but switched back to just seating then going back and crimping but the OAL still varied I have the right stem in

I've never been able to get the dual dies to run worth a crap ever. I think separating the steps provides better results.

I assume you have a good bell or flare on the case mouth before seating the bullet?

Check the bullets too. If they are not consistent at the nose, no amount of double checking will provide better results.

Have any factory ammo to check variances on? .005 isn't the end of the world.

IMG_6953.jpegThat’s the seating stem I have maybe it’s the wrong one? Like I said I haven’t messed with pistol so I’m not sure

Mic your bullet lengths, cast lead isn't always uniform,

hell bullet lube will build up on seating stim, after a bit & cause bullets to seat deeper.

But +/- .005" isn't going to make a difference in accuracy when seating a cast bullet.

I've shot a shitload of cast 155rn & 180grswc through my 40s and they always hit what I'm shooting at when I do my part,

Which some days is dead center, other days I'd be more accurate throwing the gun at it.

Mic your bullet lengths, cast lead isn't always uniform,

hell bullet lube will build up on seating stim, after a bit & cause bullets to seat deeper.

But +/- .005" isn't going to make a difference in accuracy when seating a cast bullet.

I've shot a shitload of cast 155rn & 180grswc through my 40s and they always hit what I'm shooting at when I do my part,

Which some days is dead center, other days I'd be more accurate throwing the gun at it.
Sounds like me lol

That's the right stem for the bullet. Ndenway is right though. Make sure the stem is clean. When I loaded for my STI, I shot 180 grain lead cast bullets. I had to clean the stem out every couple 1000 rounds or I'd get some wonky OAL's