What's new

What’s you’re favorite field knife?

AER244

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
Here’s mine. IMG_3513.jpegIMG_3514.jpegMy dad gave it to me in 2005. It’s a browning z180, made it Italy. It’s gutted and quartered an unknown amount of critters. It doesn’t take an edge like it used to and the serrations are mainly for looks only at this point- buts it’s been a dang fine knife that’s put up with a lot of abuse and still wotks. I’d buy another if I found one.

What are yalls most used/favorite/got some personal history with knives?

IDK, that's a tough one; I don't have a favorite, I have favorites. I change up my EDC every few years because they become too "rare" to carry any longer or I lose them...whichever comes first.

I have a few fixed blades that go with me often and one folder for skinning/dressing (Benchmade Grizzly).
I'll post some pics later

Well I'm pretty ashamed to admit it. It's a Daniel Koster custom. He is a knife maker over in Bentonville Ar. I purchased 3 of his knives from retailers that bought stock from him. He makes nice knives. That being said Daniel Koster is a crook, thief, swindler, con man, take your pic. If you do a search on Bladeforums you will see much to back this up. Back in 2016 he started a Kickstarter program to build custom folders. He got 50-55 backers, myself included. It was at the least unscrupulous to use Kickstarter for this purpose since it is for people trying to start a business, not for established businesses. There was already a two year + waiting list for his knives. He was promising to start delivering these folders in 6 months. I saw it as a way to jump the line. He normally requires 50% deposit with orders. With Kickstarter you have to pay the entire price up front which I did. He got $22K to start the project. I knew he would never make that deadline, but was willing to wait a year or two. To this day I think he delivered less than 5 knives. The litany of excuses he used when backers would ask him how he was progressing got to the point of comical. After two years, I threaten to take legal action if he didn't refund my money. He said I would have to find someone to take my place in line before he would. After another heated exchange he did finally refund me. I still go back to the project page once and a while to amuse myself at how people are still asking him for a status update just to see if he responds. It's been over a year since he last did so. There is zero chance the remainig backers will ever see a knife or their money unless they take some kind of class action suit against him. By now he has probably faked his own death to avoid following through on his commitment. Here is the link if you want to amuse yourself and read the whole saga.

Well I'm pretty ashamed to admit it. It's a Daniel Koster custom. He is a knife maker over in Bentonville Ar. I purchased 3 of his knives from retailers that bought stock from him. He makes nice knives. That being said Daniel Koster is a crook, thief, swindler, con man, take your pic. If you do a search on Bladeforums you will see much to back this up. Back in 2016 he started a Kickstarter program to build custom folders. He got 50-55 backers, myself included. It was at the least unscrupulous to use Kickstarter for this purpose since it is for people trying to start a business, not for established businesses. There was already a two year + waiting list for his knives. He was promising to start delivering these folders in 6 months. I saw it as a way to jump the line. He normally requires 50% deposit with orders. With Kickstarter you have to pay the entire price up front which I did. He got $22K to start the project. I knew he would never make that deadline, but was willing to wait a year or two. To this day I think he delivered less than 5 knives. The litany of excuses he used when backers would ask him how he was progressing got to the point of comical. After two years, I threaten to take legal action if he didn't refund my money. He said I would have to find someone to take my place in line before he would. After another heated exchange he did finally refund me. I still go back to the project page once and a while to amuse myself at how people are still asking him for a status update just to see if he responds. It's been over a year since he last did so. There is zero chance the remainig backers will ever see a knife or their money unless they take some kind of class action suit against him. By now he has probably faked his own death to avoid following through on his commitment. Here is the link if you want to amuse yourself and read the whole saga.

Roger Linger was the same kind of businessman…take money, deliver whenever if at all, and maintain his arrogance. IDK if he could ever make a knife and sell it on BF ever again.
He did make one of the best WSK Trackers around though.

On a brighter note, here is a custom made by Daniel Winkler. He has excellent street cred in the knife industry. This knife was commissioned by Sig Sauer as an accessory to go along with the introduction of their Legion line of handguns. This is probably the knife in my collection I would want with me in a knife fight. It would look really good in my hand in the crime scene photos of me dead on the ground.
IMG_0765 - Copy.jpg

I like him. He has some nice knives and he used to always be at the Ft Bragg expo. He’s used to show up at the USASOC Sniper Comp but it’s been awhile since I went personally.

I read that whole thing. That sucks. It looked and sounded like a badass knife, too. That guy is a crook. I’m Sorry that happened.

On a brighter note, here is a custom made by Daniel Winkler. He has excellent street cred in the knife industry
The crossed tomahawks in Jack Carr's logo are Winklers, and they figure prominently in his novels. They're a bit spendy for my budget, but I have my eye on one of his knives.

I can't recall which podcast it was (maybe Carr's Danger Close or Kyle Lamb's Team VTAC), but several years ago I heard Winkler describing the process to become a Master Bladesmith. It's quite the process, as I recall. The part that got me was clamping the blade in a vise and bending it 90 degrees without breaking...

Here’s another I’ve been using lately. It’s a havalon baracuta I found at Cabela’s for $15 a while back. It’s stout enough to gut/quarter/bone deer sized animals, but the blade has some length and flex so it handles fish and kitchen duty decently well too. The blades don’t hold their razors edge too long if you’re hitting bones with it, but they touch up easily. I’ve been using it for 6 years now, and I think I’m on blade #4. At 3oz, you don’t realize you’re even carrying it. IMG_3539.jpegIMG_3540.jpeg

Here’s another I’ve been using lately. It’s a havalon baracuta I found at Cabela’s for $15 a while back. It’s stout enough to gut/quarter/bone deer sized animals, but the blade has some length and flex so it handles fish and kitchen duty decently well too. The blades don’t hold their razors edge too long if you’re hitting bones with it, but they touch up easily. I’ve been using it for 6 years now, and I think I’m on blade #4. At 3oz, you don’t realize you’re even carrying it. View attachment 3705View attachment 3706
This looks like my jam

This looks like my jam
I didn’t think I’d like it as much as I do. It was an impulse buy at the time, but I’d definitely replace it if it were lost now. You can get filet and bone saw blades too, though I’ve no experience with them.

Here's another larger knife I like to take with me to the field when I am expecting to do some heavier work. It has a 8" blade flat ground from 1/4" A2 stock. The handle is just about the most comfortable one I've ever used on a blade. Fills the hand perfectly and no hotspots even after heavy use.

thumbnail_IMG_0772 - Copy.jpgthumbnail_IMG_0775 - Copy.jpg

I bought this a kajillion years ago and it always goes in my pack with my old Leupy spotter and other necessities. I loaned it to my dad once and ended up having to buy him a set to get it back.

62A25979-7BA8-4D13-9FAA-876449CCE216.jpeg

That little caper is kind of a bitch to sharpen all the way around, but sure is handy.

All these knives are making me want to go hunt something big again.