What's new

20% off Leatherman Raptor Rescue

SoonerP226

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amazon currently has a 20% Off Coupon on the Leatherman Raptor Rescue trauma shears. I don't know how long it will last, or if it's available to everyone, but if it is, there will be a checkbox for it below the price:

1710806553705.png

These are pretty spendy, but they're built like a tank, and paying $80 instead of $100 is a heck of a deal.

For some reason, the forum is converting my Amazon link into a Media link, even when I use the linking tool, so let's try this:

Code:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BTTMPQ5Y

@conditionzero , any idea why the forum keeps converting my Amazon link to a Media link? It even did it when I used the linking tool on the toolbar.. AFAIK, there's nothing special about the URL; I don't have an affiliate code or anything like that, it's just a plain ol' Amazon URL...

It does that with me too. Always with Amazon and nothing else.

I’ve got them and use them, they were a gift from my wife; while they are well made, the $7.99 2 pack I shared on @JEVapa ’s post are IMO a better buy because you won’t use them often, and are better placed with your aid kit(s) than on your person.

Not to say they won’t outlast the cheap ones I suggested, or cut more, but to me shears are a more disposable tool than anything else.

My only complaints for the Leatherman is that if you drop them in the dirt they can get it worked into the moving pieces and become gritty and either super stiff or loosen themselves up. That same folding action gets blood into it, and is hard to clean - fine if it’s a loved one but if you don’t know the person’s background, you don’t want Hep C piggybacking along with you.
The belt clip is also too small to keep secure in a pocket. You’re best not to keep them in your pocket, either, because the window punch will wear a hole in the fabric. Those are non issues if you use the included plastic sheath, but I didn’t care for how it rode on my belt.
Other than that, they are like other Leatherman products, good quality and fill a role.

I’ve got them and use them, they were a gift from my wife; while they are well made, the $7.99 2 pack I shared on @JEVapa ’s post are IMO a better buy because you won’t use them often, and are better placed with your aid kit(s) than on your person.

Not to say they won’t outlast the cheap ones I suggested, or cut more, but to me shears are a more disposable tool than anything else.

My only complaints for the Leatherman is that if you drop them in the dirt they can get it worked into the moving pieces and become gritty and either super stiff or loosen themselves up. That same folding action gets blood into it, and is hard to clean - fine if it’s a loved one but if you don’t know the person’s background, you don’t want Hep C piggybacking along with you.
The belt clip is also too small to keep secure in a pocket. You’re best not to keep them in your pocket, either, because the window punch will wear a hole in the fabric. Those are non issues if you use the included plastic sheath, but I didn’t care for how it rode on my belt.
Other than that, they are like other Leatherman products, good quality and fill a role.
Raptors are great when you run into something regular shears won't get through, but like I always tell people,"One day you will use your shears to cut something and throw want to thrown them away because there is no cleaning them after than." Also often you lose shears because you can't put them back after they are covered in blood etc. For regular use get the cheap ones.

Yep. I think they do fill a good role as a quality tool in someone’s kit who wants a multifunctional option that can be used the one or two times in their life they may need it, and in that role they also have a seatbelt cutter and punch that are necessities to have close to hand. For someone doing it as a career they aren’t as well suited. I’ve lost several cheaper pair on scene, as they are the last thing on my mind after they serve their purpose.

A good addition is an inexpensive rope knife like what Morakniv offers. They’re useful for cutting through most any material, including side curtain airbags and seatbelts. I started carrying one after being without a knife suitable for quickly cutting a thick rope on a hanging, where shears or a box cutter wouldn’t do the job quickly. I’ve found it to be useful for a lot more than that as well though, and the molded sheath makes it easy to pull and replace with gloves on.