What's new

Lets talk 6.8 Western

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
I've been slowly following this since it was released. It looks promising. 27 caliber bullet with some ass in a short action with pretty decent recoil. I've heard it compared to the 270 WSM, but better case design to use heavy for caliber bullets. Almost the love child of a 6.5 PRC and a 7 PRC. Should be able to sling out a 170 grain VLD around 3k and then some.

My problem with the caliber at the moment is brass. Once fired Winchester or Browning or new Winchester that is over priced "if" someone has it. Dies are available as well as bushings. Load data is coming up good, but the brass has me with the breaks on. I read a few posts at LRH Forum that had a quote from ADG calling for testing in Q2 of 2024 with a time frame of Q2 2025 for on the shelf availability. Same was said of the 7 PRC from them, but actual landing was much longer. It's still in unicorn fart status at the moment.

I've also read that Hornady is pushing really hard to burry this caliber in a shallow grave. Too much competition for their 6.5 PRC and 7 PRC. It's been my experience that when Hornady gets on board, shit takes off. I think Winchester and Browning have a gem on their hands. I turned down a trade offer on a 6.8 that I would really of liked to have had due to brass availability.

For now, my focus for a light weight big game cartridge is keeping with my beloved 30 caliber and in another .300 PRC. I have some Berger 205 VLD Hunter's that I was slinging out at 3100 FPS from my 26" HMR. More importantly, I have dies and tools for it currently.

In the mean time, I will keep watching, reading and studying this 6.8. I've been logging load data from various sites. Until I have a steady supply of brass (preferably ADG), I am going to watch from the side lines.

Curious to know your thoughts on it. If you have one, please post anything you have on it or first hand.

Thanks OKBalls

With a 26” barrel on a 270wsm using Retumbo you probably could push a 170gr bullet past 3000 fps.

Personally, based on my own experiences with the WSM family which was created by both Browning and Winchester, I would shy away from anything they create in joint partnership. They have done a terrible job supporting what they create and the 6.8 I’m sure will follow the same slow death of the WSM line of cartridges.

Thankfully I purchased a lot of Winchester 7wsm brass years ago and still have unused new brass.

I don’t think the 7prc does anything much better than the 7wsm but if I was to start over I would probably go with the 7prc as my all around hunting/long range hunting chambering. Only time will tell the success of this round but I do love the 7mm

With a 26” barrel on a 270wsm using Retumbo you probably could push a 170gr bullet past 3000 fps.

Personally, based on my own experiences with the WSM family which was created by both Browning and Winchester, I would shy away from anything they create in joint partnership. They have done a terrible job supporting what they create and the 6.8 I’m sure will follow the same slow death of the WSM line of cartridges.

Thankfully I purchased a lot of Winchester 7wsm brass years ago and still have unused new brass.

I don’t think the 7prc does anything much better than the 7wsm but if I was to start over I would probably go with the 7prc as my all around hunting/long range hunting chambering. Only time will tell the success of this round but I do love the 7mm
Thanks for the input. I don't know what happened to the WSM's. I remember the hype was bigger than the Creedmoor stuff when they all hit. I damn near bought a Model 70 super grade in 243 WSM, but ammo was (for the time) just too high. Now it's a relic. Like you said, it was probably their terrible job of supporting it. Did Hornady and Federal get on board with the WSM's? I don't know if I've ever seen an offering from either. I know 300 WSM still has some life. Lapua just announced brass for it in 2024. I'm still on the fence about it just to south my .30 cal whore fetish.

Brass is a big factor in anything I get. I bought enough .300 PRC Match brass that it could die tomorrow, and I'd still be shooting .300 PRC chasing a mile in my 60's.

Just to add, I agree with the 7 PRC. If I was going with a 7mm bullet, this would be my choice if I did not have one yet. I get the argument from others "Just do a custom 7mag or custom 280AI" etc, but for a factory chambered rifle, it's hard to beat. Lapua, Peterson, Alpha and ADG have jumped on board with it and making brass. If I ever go with a 7mm heavy hitter, it will be this. Or the 28 Nosler :unsure:

Just to add, I agree with the 7 PRC. If I was going with a 7mm bullet, this would be my choice if I did not have one yet. I get the argument from others "Just do a custom 7mag or custom 280AI" etc, but for a factory chambered rifle, it's hard to beat. Lapua, Peterson, Alpha and ADG have jumped on board with it and making brass. If I ever go with a 7mm heavy hitter, it will be this. Or the 28 Nosler :unsure:
I shot a 7 mag for over twenty years. Loved it, killed my first deer, elk, and antelope with it. Switch to a 300wsm for ten years but never really got into it. Rebarreled it to 7wsm and never looked back. Although I’ve taken a liking to the simplicity of my 260 over the past couple of years and the cost savings between the two.

I haven’t looked into it, but I maybe I can rebarrel my 7wsm to a 7prc? As far as the heavy hitting 7’s or the 28 Nosler, I’ve never had the urge to send a 180 well above 3000 fps or load the 190 class bullets. What I need to do with a 7mm I can accomplish with a 180gr somewhere between 2850 to 3000 fps

This is promising. Shows Augustish.