What's new

2024 USASOC Sniper Comp

JEVapa

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
Some of the best shooters on the planet here

What's the preferred optic that these teams use? I'm pretty sure there would be a lot of different brands used, but is there one that is predomanent?

The issue scope for SOCOM sniper systems is the Precision-Variable Power Scope and the Ranging-Variable Power Scope. Both contract awards were won by NFO.

That said, a lot of these guys will use what's issued and then what can be loaned by various companies. I used to loan them ballistic LRFs when I was at L3 and now they get issued them...that flat thing on the diving board on the scope. The Euros will use various scopes like Steiners and ShitnBenders. Most scopes I've seen not issued are Leupolds, Bushnells, or whatever they can get loaned to them, but that's not common anymore.

Wow, look!!! He is shooting and there is no bench.... He should be slung up and his support elbow should be in a better place, but NO BENCH! NO LEAD SLED, NO REAR BAG!! Yes, I noticed that it does have a Bi-pod, but he is not using it yet, or still ( probably a staged photo, no brass around him)

The issue scope for SOCOM sniper systems is the Precision-Variable Power Scope and the Ranging-Variable Power Scope. Both contract awards were won by NFO.

That said, a lot of these guys will use what's issued and then what can be loaned by various companies. I used to loan them ballistic LRFs when I was at L3 and now they get issued them...that flat thing on the diving board on the scope. The Euros will use various scopes like Steiners and ShitnBenders. Most scopes I've seen not issued are Leupolds, Bushnells, or whatever they can get loaned to them, but that's not common anymore.
I also noticed what looked like a US Optics and ZCO scope

Those would be loaners from either the companies or some dealer.

Man, they were shittin' and gettin' in that humvee! One wheel off the ground in that heavy, slow beast.

1711422353038.png

Wow, look!!! He is shooting and there is no bench.... He should be slung up and his support elbow should be in a better place, but NO BENCH! NO LEAD SLED, NO REAR BAG!! Yes, I noticed that it does have a Bi-pod, but he is not using it yet, or still ( probably a staged photo, no brass around him)

The actual competition (events and stages) is closed to the public and civilian news papers. They only have PAO cameramen allowed to take pictures during the events and they'll review and release whichever ones they want. That said, they'll take pics of whatever stage/event or team and then skedaddle. That's why you see an article withe the same one or two dudes that the cameraman follows around for his shots.

So, the guy sitting probably isn't quite "staged", but just prior to a shot. Like two shots and get up to a different line/position and shoot two more, rinse and repeat. Believe it or not, that seated position is one of several taught. I could never sit quite like that...I had to tuck a leg in to make it stick up more, and the armor doesn't help get low, but it is good to prop up on. Some guys can almost lay both elbows inside the legs like some yoga shit. I also have the same kind of Asolos, really good boots, lol

Man, they were shittin' and gettin' in that humvee! One wheel off the ground in that heavy, slow beast.

View attachment 4461
That's a GMV, more power and better suspension. I'll bet they were dropping off a team or fixing a target or something and were hauling ass back and the PAO got that pic and released it like it was part of the thing...people can say "wow, they jump hummers"

Yes, I do believe that position is taught, but sniper world has seem to forgotten what a sling is for. Actually he is doing a fair rendition of a cross leg sitting. I have actually been to a couple of these and yeah they tend to keep folks away.