What's new

Hoping For a "Kel-Tec" Saturday

OK Corgi Rancher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I found a really reasonably priced 3rd Gen Sub-2000 (Glock) on GunBroker of all places. Free shipping, no CC fee. It's been at my preferred FFL for 3 days now but he's been unavailable. I sold my Gen 2 so that paid for the bulk of the new one.

Also worked a trade on a slightly used Kel-Tec P15 (the poly one) from the other place.

Got a meet scheduled to pick up the P15 later this morning. I'm hoping my dealer calls me some time today about the Sub2K.

I cain't hep it... I'm a Kel-Tec fanboi. Don't judge me too harshly.

Which reminds me... If anyone has a P32 they wanna part with I'm all ears. I'll expect military AND senior discounts. You know how us boomers are...

Well, it’s definitely a Kel-Tec day: cold, wet, drizzly and no exposed sunshine. And zero chance of me running.
Interresting.

Did I become a keltec fan due to the vitamin D deficiency inherent in lining in the PNW? 🤔

Interresting.

Did I become a keltec fan due to the vitamin D deficiency inherent in lining in the PNW? 🤔

Could be. But the KT bug hit me when they brought out the P32 and P3AT. That was when I lived in Colorado. 300+ days of sunshine a year there.

I have a new Crimson Trace CT-1000 RDS I bought from PSA when they were stupid cheap that's just itching to be put on a gun. The new Sub2K is the perfect candidate.

Could be. But the KT bug hit me when they brought out the P32 and P3AT. That was when I lived in Colorado. 300+ days of sunshine a year there.

I have a new Crimson Trace CT-1000 RDS I bought from PSA when they were stupid cheap that's just itching to be put on a gun. The new Sub2K is the perfect candidate.
Colorado?

Maybe it was lack of Oxygen?

I am disappointed they discontinued the P3AT, but I recently picked one up.

@ OK Corgi Rancher
How do you like the Gen3 Sub2000?

@ OK Corgi Rancher
How do you like the Gen3 Sub2000?

I just picked it up an hour ago. Got the CT mounted. The most significant change is the rotating barrel assembly. Flip it to the rear, twist it 90° left or right and lock it in place. No need to remove the optic or to buy an expensive side-folding mount. No sights, either. There are a few other minor changes but those are the big ones.

The P15 is pretty cool. The standard grip is really small in diameter. I put the grip insert on and it's much better. This gun would be a lot nicer if KT had shortened the slide about 3/4".

I haven't shot either yet. I'm gonna do that Mon or Tues.

A.jpgC.jpg

I am kinda kicking myself.for not having a pf9 how is the p15?

The PF9 I had felt a LOT better than the P15. The P15 feels front heavy...but I haven't loaded it yet. It feels like KT build quality...which is to say not cheap but not high end, either. Typical KT. If you've owned one or two you'll know what I mean. The mag release is too small, too. No...not too small. It doesn't protrude from the frame enough. That's the problem. It's new to me so I need to work at it a bit to get used to it. I'll let you know what I think after I shoot it next week. I'd like to find another PF9. But I have a few small 9mm pistols to I really haven't been looking to hard.

I had a couple PF9’s at different times. Not sure why I sold the first one, but the second one would walk pins all the time and was prone to come out of battery during carry.
I swapped to the Ruger LC9s Pro for that role and it’s a much better animal. I’ll be at a higher price point. However, having the P365XL for the past three years, I’ve not carried the Ruger.

Took the new Kel-Tecs out today.

P15: 60 rounds thru the P15 and it was perfect in terms of reliability. It's a handful without the extended mag in it. The second mag fits flush with the bottom of the grip so there's not much to hang on to. There's a good bit of muzzle flip and the trigger is mushy with an almost non-existent feel for the reset. The concussion, for some reason, is really pronounced. Recoil impulse is pretty sharp but manageable. The sights are OK...fiber optic front with black-notch rear. Nothing hurt fingers or hands, nothing sharp, etc. The mag release is problematic. It doesn't protrude enough to get a good purchase on it without really shifting the gun in my hand in order to depress it far enough to release. Inserting mags is no problem. They go right in and lock into place easily. Definitely needs a taller mag release. There's nothing about it that's compelling enough to make me want to carry it over the other choices I have. But I can see where it would make a pretty decent choice for someone with a limited budget.

Sub2000: I set up a bench at 25 yards to zero the CT-1000 red dot. I fired one round just to see where it was. Dead center on windage but about 9" low. Without even figuring how far to turn the elevation dial I just rotated it a complete turn. Fired a 2nd shot...it was right on the right edge of the X-ring. Sweet! I'd rather be lucky than good. I fired three more rounds with two going thru the hole from the 2nd shot. The third was about 1/4" left. I gave it just a click or two of left windage and it was perfect. I fired 100 rounds thru it of all sorts of assorted ammo I had. There were 3 failures to eject...basically stovepipes... and all 3 were with Herter's aluminum cased ammo. I had about 20 rounds of that and it really felt underpowered for the blowback action of the Sub2K. Everything else, including about 30 rounds of Tula steel-cased stuff and a couple of different types of hollow points ran perfectly. This is a great shooting gun and I think it would make an excellent HD gun, especially with a can. The recoil is pretty substantial (relatively speaking for a 9mm PCC) and is probably due to the blowback action. The gun feels really solid...not flimsy in the slightest. The CT red dot is about as basic as they come but it held zero and has plenty of intensity adjustments for various light conditions. Nothing fancy but it's perfectly functional and is a good fit for this gun. And for the price (I think it was $65 from PSA) it's probably pretty hard to beat. The charging knob on this Gen 3 gun is much easier to retract than it was on the Gen 2. It can also be 'slapped' HK style to charge the gun. The cross-bolt safety is a little awkward but it's easy to get used to. Mag changes are easy even though the mag release button is really narrow. Unlike the P15 this one protrudes plenty far enough and mag changes are a piece of cake. I really like being able to fold the gun up and leave the optic attached. I'm glad KT figured it out for this gun. Side-folding would've been easy but the folded length of the gun would've been much longer, like the S&W. This one's a keeper.