What's new

Interesting numbers after a barrel clean

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
Took me 2 days of soaking, scrubbing and about 200 patches, but my Henry 45 Colt's barrel is clean. It had some serious lead and carbon build up. After I finally got it clean, I could see why after only 271 rounds. Henry didn't do so hot of a job with the machining. Lots of machining marks and rough patches. No pitting, No rust, just not the best barrel. Still shoots lights out for a 45 Colt at 50/100 with a non magnified optic, so I'm good with it.

In all my years of shooting, I have never seen a barrel so fouled and dirty. Some I can contribute to the barrel's machining work, but I think a lot was that Ammo Inc ammo. It's a coated lead slug 250 Grains coming out of the barrel at 840 FPS average. Not fast enough to cause any leading issues that I know of? but it sure as hell did.

Patch after patch kept coming out like this. Dry, soaked, JB Bore paste or Boretech. I couldn't get a clean patch to save my life.
signal-2024-03-19-142020_002.jpeg
signal-2024-03-20-160157_002.jpeg
signal-2024-03-20-164517_002.jpeg
signal-2024-03-20-173347_002.jpeg
signal-2024-03-20-192907_002.jpeg

My guess was it was carbon that was heated hard over lead. Once I got the hard shit out and soaked, it just kept coming like a 20 year old cyst. Funny thing was, I never once got a hit from copper on a single patch. Finally around 0100 hours this morning, I got a clean patch. Went at it again with some JB bore paste and Hoppes over a jag short stroked from breech to bore and the patch was clean. Bore scope confirmed it.

Set up the Garmin and sent the first round. 792 FPS. 2nd round was 863 and 3rd was 929. Took 3 rounds to settle down and average out at 948 FPS. 10 shots with an SD of 7.4 and ES of 25.0. Not to shabby for factory ammo.

None of this shocking, but it is pretty interesting to see how many rounds it took to settle the barrel down. I did scope it after these rounds and very little carbon but plenty of copper in the bore. Looks like what it should for 20 rounds.

Carry on

Ever get one like this again, mix 50/50 apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, fill the bore and let sit for a while. Do not get any of the liquid coming out of the bore on bare skin!!! Rinse clean with alcohol patches and oil the bore. Cleans out lead and carbon. This is what suppressor companies use to clean sealed suppressors. Once again DO NOT GET ANY OF IT ON BARE SKIN AFTER SOAKING. The main by product is lead acitate and it is easily absorbed by skin.

Ever get one like this again, mix 50/50 apple cider vinegar and hydrogen peroxide, fill the bore and let sit for a while. Do not get any of the liquid coming out of the bore on bare skin!!! Rinse clean with alcohol patches and oil the bore. Cleans out lead and carbon. This is what suppressor companies use to clean sealed suppressors. Once again DO NOT GET ANY OF IT ON BARE SKIN AFTER SOAKING. The main by product is lead acitate and it is easily absorbed by skin.
I had never heard of that before, good to know. I can see where H²O² would work though.