What's new

OK Ballistics Brass Marker

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not near as knowledgeable as several of you guys on here so this is probably another stupid question. Is the purpose of marking your brass so that you can easily identify it at a public range, or am I missing another reason for doing it?

I’ll be the first to admit that I’m not near as knowledgeable as several of you guys on here so this is probably another stupid question. Is the purpose of marking your brass so that you can easily identify it at a public range, or am I missing another reason for doing it?
Basically.

Depending on your depth of brass prep, my brass is worth 10 times what I paid for it. I probably have 30 minutes of time invested in each piece as well.

I'll mark brass for a load work up and/or type (like a hot-ish but still SAA safe 45 Colt, i paint a red dot on the rim). If you took time to make a table, you could have a bunch of various loads that you know what's in them vs stuff you're trying to decide if you need to pull down or shoot and no data, etc.

Yep. With this you could also "program" a key to loads as well. I haven't explored that yet.

1706996516344.png

Thanks guys for the responses. It is a cool little tool, and I could definitely see myself using it to mark various loads.

I got bored the other night while I was reloading some 308 that had some old sharpie marks on the bottom. I had seen another brass marking jig but didn't really want to drop coin on it, and also I wanted it to be a little more configurable. I got inspired also, as I looked to another bench in my shop where I do electronics work and it has a bunch of resistors. So I designed a prototype (what you are seeing) where you can configure the bands and colors to mark your brass. This way, if I am shooting M4's/M5's with @rockchalk06 who marks his brass like a heathen, there will be no confusing my brass :LOL:
That’s honestly a genius thought, kinda like resistor bands and stuff. View attachment 2969
Precicely!

Hmmm......I usually mark my brass with the ejector and extractor.