What's new

Overkill plate rack

adamsredlines

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure what I've gotten myself into here, but....

My "plate rack" is essentially a huge sawhorse (5ft tall, 14ft across) that has various plates hanging. It works well, but does have some bounce and wood isn't forever.

This stuff was being scrapped at work, so I snagged it thinking I could turn it into a "forever" target stand....but after loading it into my truck with a forklift and not being sure how I'm gonna get it out by myself...I'm thinking I've maybe bitten off a bit more than I can chew.

So, we will see!!

20240307_164256.jpg

Ahhhh the ol big I beams. Don’t you have one of them old lawn tractors you’ve souped up for pulling at the county fair yet?

Put a chain on it, hook it to a tree or post near to where you are going to build targets, put the truck in first gear or drive if it's an auto, and drive outta under it.

Put a chain on it, hook it to a tree or post near to where you are going to build targets, put the truck in first gear or drive if it's an auto, and drive outta under it.

I've considered that. My only problem is...then what? When it's time to build the thing, I gotta get em back off the ground!

My best idea is seeing if I can store them at a buddies place for a while, which is the buddy who I'll have to recruit to help cut/weld them when I'm ready.

Funny, I've found a bit of steel in junk piles during spring/fall cleanup.

Kinda surprising how much steel people just throw away pretty often.

I hadn't had to buy 3/4" to 2" angle iron for a while cause people throw pieces and bed frames away.

Too bad don't find much rebar or pipe/tubing being thrown away.

I've considered that. My only problem is...then what? When it's time to build the thing, I gotta get em back off the ground!

My best idea is seeing if I can store them at a buddies place for a while, which is the buddy who I'll have to recruit to help cut/weld them when I'm ready.
That'd work.

I've never done enough cutting around the house to justify buying an oxy set up,

I just make do with the ittybitty plasma, angle grinder/ chopsaw.

Had little projects I used my Lincoln arc & 1/4 rods to cut a little 5/16th plate I used along with pipe to make driveway angle barrier gates.

That'd work.

I've never done enough cutting around the house to justify buying an oxy set up,

I just make do with the ittybitty plasma, angle grinder/ chopsaw.

Had little projects I used my Lincoln arc & 1/4 rods to cut a little 5/16th plate I used along with pipe to make driveway angle barrier gates.

If you want a neat way to cut metal then use a Diablo Sawzall Blade. Holy fuck those things are impressive.

He's got a horizontal band saw and bigger welders than I have so that would be ideal I think. Too big for my chop saw, I hate to think how long it would take to cut through the big beams with a Sawzall, so hopefully they can find a home at his place until he's ready for another of my dumbass projects.

He's got a horizontal band saw and bigger welders than I have so that would be ideal I think. Too big for my chop saw, I hate to think how long it would take to cut through the big beams with a Sawzall, so hopefully they can find a home at his place until he's ready for another of my dumbass projects.

From what I’ve seen of the Diablo blades it wouldn’t take long at all. My source is I use them often at my job on things I can’t use an oxy/acetylene torch on because I may go BOOM.

Another thing I’ve seen is the Diablo metal blade in a circular saw. That thing will cut some steel too.

I've looked at sawzall and chopsaw carbide blades for around the house metal projects,

Because I have used both kinds of them at work and that belonged to others I helped out on a project they were doing.

I would definitely get the chopsaw blade if I used it regularly,

but like a oxy set up, a few to several times a month use don't justify the cost for me.

My sawzalls corded & battery get used when I do a lil carpentry, plumbing and/or demo work.

My woman uses the hell outta the battery sawzall with pruning blades when she squares up the bushes and trees she planted around the house & through the yard,

Which is better than her trying to use the pole & chainsaw to prune,

Which was funny as hell to watch.