What's new

Consolidating AR collection

BobbyV

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like I have too many ARs in either .223 Wylde, .223, or 5.56. I was debating selling them and ultimately getting a Colt LE6920.

I could use the extra room in the safe.

What would you guys do?

I'd decide what I want to do/prepare for, then retain the tools suited to those purposes and be rid of the rest. 5 naked 16in barrel ARs with no light, no sling, and no optic is silly (not accusing you of that, just many such cases).

Personal opinion: if you're in Eastern OK I'd do a 12.5 with an Eotech+4x magnifier or a 14.5 with an RCO or Elcan. My rationale is that outside of the highways, there aren't many 400m+ LOS areas near me, so I'm not hurting for ballistic energy with those shorter barrels. If you're out west it might make more sense to do a 16in with an LPVO + piggyback micro dot or even go straight for the SPR.

No matter where I am, eventually I'd want a shortie for MOUT/innawoods, a middy jack of all trades RECCE, and a purpose built long barrel SPR. Each one would have all the accoutrements (light, sling, optic, LAM, suppressor, etc) before I started the next. Once I had those three covered, I'd spread out into meme/niche builds like a 300blk PDW or whatever. This is all from a preparedness mindset though. If you have different goals you'll have different needs/wants.

I feel like I have too many ARs in either .223 Wylde, .223, or 5.56. I was debating selling them and ultimately getting a Colt LE6920.

I could use the extra room in the safe.

What would you guys do?
I think @KurtM would agree with me on this, the whole 5.56 vs .223 Rem vs 223 Wylde is more of a wild tale IMO than a real thing anymore. Way back when they made .223 Rem into 5.56 NATO it may have been a thing with higher pressures but 50 years later, you'd be hard pressed to actually find any issues where someone had or is having catastrophic failures from using 5.56 in a .223 Rem, or having serious bad accuracy issues shooting .223 Rem in a 5.56 chamber. MEH.
Think about this: Olin .223 Rem 55gr is made on the same exact line to the same exact specs as Olin 5.56 M193 with the same bullet. The only difference is the headstamp.

DX all your .223 mess (including Wylde), and just get a couple good ones in 5.56 and all will be well in the world. A 6920 is a great gun an/or a 6921 URG and P&W a suppressor MD of your choice and buy more suppressors.

Since you asked what we would do, we (me, myself, and I) would get or build a couple retro rifles, and at least one really high-end rifle (JP, LaRue, LMT, etc). And good magazines. And another suppressor.

Consolidate/sell your ar 15s & buy two of the ar15's you want.

Then take a look at ar10 style rifles like armalte ar10, bear creek arsenal, dpms, ruger, psa and many more brands etc.

I say consolidate down to what you need, and a few of what you want, much like what @AguaFriaRanger and @JEVapa said. Me, I would just keep around a 13.7 p&w truck gun with a red dot, a 14.5” p&w general purpose with lpvo, a 16” trash loaner, a 16” semi retro iron sights getup, and a 20” m16a4 replica throwback to my service rifle; which is more or less what I have/what I’m working towards. Maybe throw in something gucci, but everything is expected to at least be decent quality, with the exception of the loaner. To me anything ARs outside of that is money that could be spent on other systems, better gear, ammo, or cans.

Consolidate/sell your ar 15s & buy two of the ar15's you want.

Then take a look at ar10 style rifles like armalte ar10, bear creek arsenal, dpms, ruger, psa and many more brands etc.
I have a couple of AR10s as well. One in .308 and one .243.

I think @KurtM would agree with me on this, the whole 5.56 vs .223 Rem vs 223 Wylde is more of a wild tale IMO than a real thing anymore. Way back when they made .223 Rem into 5.56 NATO it may have been a thing with higher pressures but 50 years later, you'd be hard pressed to actually find any issues where someone had or is having catastrophic failures from using 5.56 in a .223 Rem, or having serious bad accuracy issues shooting .223 Rem in a 5.56 chamber. MEH.
Think about this: Olin .223 Rem 55gr is made on the same exact line to the same exact specs as Olin 5.56 M193 with the same bullet. The only difference is the headstamp.

DX all your .223 mess (including Wylde), and just get a couple good ones in 5.56 and all will be well in the world. A 6920 is a great gun an/or a 6921 URG and P&W a suppressor MD of your choice and buy more suppressors.

Since you asked what we would do, we (me, myself, and I) would get or build a couple retro rifles, and at least one really high-end rifle (JP, LaRue, LMT, etc). And good magazines. And another suppressor.
Interesting. Never thought about the caliber differences like that before.

Whatever I do I guess I need to sell before that stupid new ATF "in the business" rule is in the CFR.

Edit: I guess the rule got published last month. Sigh.

Last edited:
I have a couple of AR10s as well. One in .308 and one .243.
Like I say, consolidate the 15s, get or build a couple set up how you want, and buy a shit ton of mags & ammo.

If it were me, my 556 ar15s would be a 20" national match a2 and a plain jane a2 carbine.

And of course an 308w/762.51 armalite 10 & maybe a m1a of some variant since it & the armalite 10 use the same mags, course got mod back & follower a bit & cut a small rectangular hole in side for the armalite bolt catch, if you, dont you just hold the mag in and it still works.

Course I'd keep my 6x45 ar15 for shooting heavy bullets.

Like I say, consolidate the 15s, get or build a couple set up how you want, and buy a shit ton of mags & ammo.

If it were me, my 556 ar15s would be a 20" national match a2 and a plain jane a2 carbine.

And of course an 308w/762.51 armalite 10 & maybe a m1a of some variant since it & the armalite 10 use the same mags, course got mod back & follower a bit & cut a small rectangular hole in side for the armalite bolt catch, if you, dont you just hold the mag in and it still works.

Course I'd keep my 6x45 ar15 for shooting heavy bullets.

I always thought M1A mags modded to fit an AR-10 wouldn't then work in the M1A. Is that not true? And if you have to mod the mags to make them work in one rifle and then they won't work in the original rifle, what's the point?

A platform that uses PMags in .308 seems like it makes much more sense. Not only are the mags plentiful, they don't require modification, they work well, and they're nearly half the cost of good quality M1A mags.

Or maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about. Wouldn't be the first time.

Beats me in nowday funds, I bought my armalite ban era, came with 2 10rd & 1 20rd mags, when I wanted more 20rd mags I bought surplus m14 mags or used m1a mags when I found them cheap, and mod'd them to work in the armalite.

Ban sunset I stocked up when armalite done the armalite10 bulk 20rd mag sales.

Pretty sure a mod'd m1a mag would still work in the m1a.

I would own 2x the number of ARs I currently own if they weren't so odd shaped and didn't fit well into most safes.
Makes you appreciate lever guns and shotguns

I would own 2x the number of ARs I currently own if they weren't so odd shaped and didn't fit well into most safes.
Design a folding pistol grip.

Last edited:
There's a LT 308 PredatOBR in the ads that a deal could be made. It would replace all your current AR10s.