What's new

Anybody make your own lumber?

@HoLeChit heres some more pictures. Those original plates I built (bare steel/later orange) are the dimensions of the YouTube guy. Pictured below is another set I built from aluminum that are much wider they work better on bigger logs. I watched lots of YouTube about this stuff and still was nervous cutting the first few slabs. Doesn’t bother me anymore. My advice is all the power in a saw you can lift and a sharp chain. Level your end brackets then go at er like a bitin sow. After your first cut you won’t need the guide rails for the rest of that log if you are just ripping boards. I cut my boards to width removing the live edge on my table saw most of the time but you surely can turn a log into a square cant with the chainsaw. Also, I called it milling chain above, some saw milling and some say ripping.
View attachment 4289View attachment 4290View attachment 4291View attachment 4292View attachment 4293
If you don’t mind my asking, where did you buy your saw?

I saw $500ish on Amazon, but buying straight from farmtec I could buy the pole saw, sawmill saw, backpack blower, and 38cc climbing/pruning saw for $900ish without shipping/taxes/import fees. Even if they last for 2-3 years it’s saving me an absolute fortune. I already have a good multipurpose husky 455 to rely on. I wouldn’t mind risking it on that stuff for the price, the cost of Stihl/husky anything these days makes me a little sick.

Anybody know anything about import fees/duty/tariffs?

I’ve seen some older Stihls come up on marketplace on occasion in the money. I’ve seen some guys buy those farmtec and really beef them up and trick them out, used for comp saws, no idea on longevity. I’d buy one before I bought a new Stihl, though.

If you don’t mind my asking, where did you buy your saw?

I saw $500ish on Amazon, but buying straight from farmtec I could buy the pole saw, sawmill saw, backpack blower, and 38cc climbing/pruning saw for $900ish without shipping/taxes/import fees. Even if they last for 2-3 years it’s saving me an absolute fortune. I already have a good multipurpose husky 455 to rely on. I wouldn’t mind risking it on that stuff for the price, the cost of Stihl/husky anything these days makes me a little sick.

Anybody know anything about import fees/duty/tariffs?

If you do order from China it cost me $75 shipping when I ordered mine. However there are a few US stocking dealers now.

If you do order from China it cost me $75 shipping when I ordered mine. However there are a few US stocking dealers now.

That’s not bad. I would rather wait and save a butt-ton of cash if it’s the real deal.

How long did it take to get here? A few weeks? Pretty painless?

That’s not bad. I would rather wait and save a butt-ton of cash if it’s the real deal.

How long did it take to get here? A few weeks? Pretty painless?
Yeah it went smooth. I think 3 weeks from ordering to delivery. I personally would not pay for their bars. Their chain has been good. It’s a copy of Stihl chain. Their bars wear quick and aren’t very strong from what I hear. I did order and install their high output oil pump in my 660. I know I put a Stihl OEM trigger in my 660. Again, I got their 660 pro. It’s the one that looks carbon fiber. Not the orange or blue. The pro has a skid plate, meteor piston and nikasil cylinder. There’s a few other upgrades in it also. Like I said, you can go to the Stihl dealer and buy any Oem part and it will fit.

Reactions: Roy