What's new

First Suppressor

HoLeChit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
So I looked into my "fun money" account recently and have noticed it has grown to accommodate purchasing my first can. I'm open to suggestions on the brands I have in mind and other, more better opinions if you have them.

Use: I want this can to be used for rifles, for range use and hunting. I don't want something crazy long, but I also don't want something with negligible performance.

Platforms: bolt guns and semi autos from .224" up to .310"

How important is minimum barrel length, full auto capable, or things like that? is it all just marketing bullshit, or is it actually a meaningful measure of a suppressor's durability?

Brands/models I am considering:

Huxwurx: FLOW 762 Ti I like their flow through design and light weight. They're pretty pricey though, and I am set up right now with dead air in mind, as I have already invested a little in Keymo Mounting.

Dead Air: Sandman S I am invested in keymo adapters a little. They seem nice. Certainly affordable. Swappable endcaps to allow me to put a 224 end cap on a 308 can. The price would allow me to buy a handful of adapters for my other rifles, and possibly their rimfire Mask Can.

Rex Silentium: MOD X Modular Rifle Suppressor 308 Modular, I can swap out end caps and adjust length based upon caliber and situation. It runs 1.375-24 main threads on the back of the can, allowing me to put a keymo adapter on it. The price would allow for me to buy a handful of adapters/muzzle devices and their MG22 rimfire can while I was at it.

Other suggestions? Anyone own any of these and have thoughts? Who do ya'll use for buying cans? I figure I would go through GH Arms for a Rex can, but other than that, I am lost.

My personal opinion is this is like asking which chicks a guy thinks is cute, as everyone will have a different answer.
At the end of the day, my .02 best advice is just bite the bullet, pick one from your list and get the ball rolling

^^^^ This.

Doesn't really matter, any modern can from a recognized brand is going to be good enough. All the rest is for bragging rights and arguing online. Full auto rated isn't important unless you are shooting full auto or bumpstocking with long bursts or mag dumping. Steel baffles will work fine, titanium is lighter but I haven't seen an instance where it was more durable. A baffle strike will wipe either out. Just stay away from aluminum baffles, they erode and are harder to clean in rimfire cans.

However, I will say they tend to multiply. I don't a single person who bought one with the idea of doing everything and sticking with it. They end up buying dedicated cans for caliber/rifle... So be prepared for that.

^^^^ This.

Doesn't really matter, any modern can from a recognized brand is going to be good enough. All the rest is for bragging rights and arguing online. Full auto rated isn't important unless you are shooting full auto or bumpstocking with long bursts or mag dumping. Steel baffles will work fine, titanium is lighter but I haven't seen an instance where it was more durable. A baffle strike will wipe either out. Just stay away from aluminum baffles, they erode and are harder to clean in rimfire cans.

However, I will say they tend to multiply. I don't a single person who bought one with the idea of doing everything and sticking with it. They end up buying dedicated cans for caliber/rifle... So be prepared for that.

This pretty much says it all. Emphasis on the last statement. Never seen anyone stick with one "do it all" can.

Huxwrx. True flow through can,
this is the next on my list:
https://huxwrx.com/ventum-762

It comes with adapters for .22 and .30 and is right at $1k

I shot a couple of these out in W TX after I asked a buddy what the best running can is because he's still testing for the USG. He recommended Huxwrx. It was pretty nice

Last edited:
Huxwrx. True flow through can,
this is the next on my list:
https://huxwrx.com/ventum-762

It comes with adapters for .22 and .30 and is right at $1k

I shot a couple of these out in W TX after I asked a buddy what the best running can because he's still testing for the USG. He recommended Huxwrx. It was pretty nice
ohhhh I missed that in my initial look. That fits my bill almost perfectly I think. I've always liked the operating principles of those. With the pro discount (if you can catch them in stock) theyre downright cheap too.

I've got SureFire, Lane, and Thunderbeast. The Lane is Titanium with an outer tube, it weighs in around 13 ounces, and it is a outer tube design. The SureFire is one of the old FA series and weighs about 18 ounces. The Thunderbeast is a tubeless titanium design and weighs a mere 8 ounces. All are very quiet but ear wise I would have to put them in this order. Thunderbeast, SureFire, and then Lane. BUT, the mounting system for the Lane and the SureFire are Porky as hell! The SureFire is around 5, the Lane around 4, but the Thunderbeast is just a bit over 1, so if weight is your main concern, look at the mount as well.
In general, if you want light go tubeless, if you want sorta light go with an outer tube design. Doesn't much matter about full auto rated, but it does matter quite a bit as to cartridge size and barrel length. All the suppressors you mentioned are good ones. I am no kind of expert on Suppressors, but I do know a couple builders and this is what I have gotten from them. BTW the Thunderbeast is 300 Win Mag rated for a 20" barrel which surprises the hell out of me for the weight, it is an Ultra 7...….yeah, shameless plug for Zak! 😁

I've got SureFire, Lane, and Thunderbeast. The Lane is Titanium with an outer tube, it weighs in around 13 ounces, and it is a outer tube design. The SureFire is one of the old FA series and weighs about 18 ounces. The Thunderbeast is a tubeless titanium design and weighs a mere 8 ounces. All are very quiet but ear wise I would have to put them in this order. Thunderbeast, SureFire, and then Lane. BUT, the mounting system for the Lane and the SureFire are Porky as hell! The SureFire is around 5, the Lane around 4, but the Thunderbeast is just a bit over 1, so if weight is your main concern, look at the mount as well.
In general, if you want light go tubeless, if you want sorta light go with an outer tube design. Doesn't much matter about full auto rated, but it does matter quite a bit as to cartridge size and barrel length. All the suppressors you mentioned are good ones. I am no kind of expert on Suppressors, but I do know a couple builders and this is what I have gotten from them. BTW the Thunderbeast is 300 Win Mag rated for a 20" barrel which surprises the hell out of me for the weight, it is an Ultra 7...….yeah, shameless plug for Zak! 😁
I'm not super concerned with weight, while I do try and keep the weight down on my rifles, I'm not too worried about it... I can always just lift some more weights to make up the difference. A good consideration though. if I went with the Dead Air Keymo system I am looking at about 5 ounces If I am rounding up.

Alright, here's a question: I would like to not have to worry about replacing parts (aside from mounting devices) on my current gas guns when adopting a can. Is this an unrealistic expectation? For example, if I buy that Rex Silentium on my list, and not change out any parts, am I gonna end up with my AR beating itself apart and gas in my face?

What kind of reliability expectations should I have?

Just clean and oil your rifle

Yeah, I find the running suppressed drys them out a bit faster so yeah oil! If it's gasing you a bit there is a quick fix by putting black silicone sealant in the U part of your charging handle. It does help, and there are lots of videos that show how. It is easy and low cost! The only one of mine that I ever bothered to put an adjustable gas block on for a suppressor is my 16" 308, but it started life way over gassed anyway. Nope just like big J said, clean and oil... Lots of oil😁

You guys are killing me (@JEVapa and @KurtM). After reading y’all’s posts in the rifle cleaning thread, I threw away all my cleaning stuff. Now, I got to go dig all that shit out of the trash. I was really looking forward to not cleaning my guns.

I never said not to clean guns. I also oil the shit outta them.
With a suppressed gun, you have to wipe down the moving parts more often and keep them oiled. I run all my gas guns wet...like running out the mag well and joints and pinholes wet. The oil makes the carbon removal easier.

Here's my post:

Last edited:
I never said not to clean guns. I also oil the shit outta them.
With a suppressed gun, you have to wipe down the moving parts more often and keep them oiled. I run all my gas guns wet...like running out the mag well and joints and pinholes wet. The oil makes the carbon removal easier.

Here's my post:
I was just trying to be funny…I know that you didn’t say not to clean them. I need to work on my comedy skills.

While we are here at oil running out the mag well... 😁😁😁👍👍👍
The one place I consistently see skipped by a vast majority of AR shooters is the main spring! Oil the hell out of it!!! I squirt a bunch of oil into my palm and rub it all over the spring! It almost drips!! I can tell you this, if you run into any of the top tier action shooters you will notice at least one thing..... Their shooting shirt will have oil stains on the shoulder where they mount the rifle, and I am only partially kidding!
(Note: in dusty sandy environs this might not be a good thing, but I look at it this way, if it's oily and it gets a bunch of dust and sand in the mainspring housing, your getting a free polish job in the tube🤣)

While we are here at oil running out the mag well... 😁😁😁👍👍👍
The one place I consistently see skipped by a vast majority of AR shooters is the main spring! Oil the hell out of it!!! I squirt a bunch of oil into my palm and rub it all over the spring! It almost drips!! I can tell you this, if you run into any of the top tier action shooters you will notice at least one thing..... Their shooting shirt will have oil stains on the shoulder where they mount the rifle, and I am only partially kidding!
(Note: in dusty sandy environs this might not be a good thing, but I look at it this way, if it's oily and it gets a bunch of dust and sand in the mainspring housing, your getting a free polish job in the tube🤣)
I had the same things impressed upon me when in the greatest gun club on earth. In Afghanistan, we typically carried everything bone dry, with a bottle of CLP in your pocket, so that before needed, we could hose down the rifle. TERRIBLE plan in hindsight, but that's what we did.

For the money, I am thinking of getting a modular 308 rex can and a 224 end cap to use with it. Also considering a longer 308 can and a 224 k can. I kinda feel like a first can should be something for all around. I'm not gonna have the cash to spare for another can for a while.

All my suppressors are 308.... Well except for the Lane which is on my SOCOM. And a 22lr
I have never noticed them being louder on my 223 guns than dedicated 223 suppressors shot side by side. I think your plan is a great one, but longer isn't necessarily needed for 308. Just shop the DB reduction. Enjoy!

Ironically if you watch some of the DB testing, the 30 cal cans are often quieter on the 22 cal rifles, than dedicated 22cal cans of the same model are on the same gun. I can only assume it's because of the extra volume?
I noticed that when looking for my first can.