What's new

Playin battleship

I almost cried I was so happy for Clara! Seriously, I love that. I really hope my kids enjoy hunting and/or shooting as much as yours seem too.
They will if you take em and be patient. Also, let them mess up. Not in a dangerous way of course. I like to watch em struggle for a minute and see if they find their mistakes on their own. It’ll give them a sense of accomplishment. I believe if we hover too much they won’t learn to deal with issues. Simple things like loading mags, adjusting bipods and or bags. Anyhow I ain’t no educator lol. I’m just a dad doing the best I can just like I’m sure you will too. But yeah Clara has a ton of trigger time. Anytime I go to my range she does too. I’m patient and get her set up. Usually shooting the 12” steel plate at 100yds and then I go to work on whatever my shooting project is.

Sound advice. Mine are 3 and 4 and easing into it. I figure all I can do is expose them to it and be patient/along for the ride. My 4yo is my lil buddy though, he’s down for all the outside stuff and just now got old enough to not eat broken glass or some crap like that so I can actually start “doing things” with him. He’s been hunting more than shooting, but that’s because I hunt more than shoot anymore. I need to get them (and myself) shooting more often than just when we go hunting. Gotta work on that

Took my son out hunting for the first time. We went to the Alva area to hunt. No deer for 2 days. My back couldn’t take much more and he was done and couldn’t set still. Told him I will take him to fouled bore and shoot. He told me he would out shoot me so bets on. He is 15.

My mom and dad had me in the woods in an improvised papoose from the time I was an infant. Dad would help me hold up the little Marlin lever .22 when I was 2-3 years old but I got to line up the sights and pull the trigger. It was more like civil war artillery than riflery. When he handed me my Browning SA 22 I was four years old. I was so small I looked like I had a trapdoor Springfield. I have been a shooting enthusiast my whole life. Wasn’t until the early nineties and reading Major Plaster’s book I found out there was more to shooting than Kentucky windage and and how it’s worked in the past. My own boy is finally developing an interest, better late than never. Those battleship targets look like they would get right on his competitive side.

The little daughter Clara got her a new rifle today. She’d been borrowing a Ruger precision rimfire from her older sister. When they battle, I loan the older daughter my b14r. A while back we decided to get Clara her own “better 22”. So since the ruger pr is such an adjustable platform we knew that’s what she needed. She didn’t want the same black color so the google happened and we found the Talo gray one. Well, we found a picture. Actually finding one was a trick. No local stores had one available from their distributors. I clicked many google links just to find it out of stock. Finally I found a store in Florida that showed one. After a 30 minute phone call with them searching high and low they found it. It arrived today. We got her all set up and ready to roll. Hopefully this one shoots as good as our other one.
8827FDD1-6936-42DD-9D97-91A4997041BF.jpeg3158A692-422D-46A8-A90B-7FCFD46DC119.jpegB67F8D2D-BB70-4913-A82E-2309333E6F5D.jpegCB12C58D-A2C6-4E48-B249-A0C97BC4F086.jpeg

The little daughter Clara got her a new rifle today. She’d been borrowing a Ruger precision rimfire from her older sister. When they battle, I loan the older daughter my b14r. A while back we decided to get Clara her own “better 22”. So since the ruger pr is such an adjustable platform we knew that’s what she needed. She didn’t want the same black color so the google happened and we found the Talo gray one. Well, we found a picture. Actually finding one was a trick. No local stores had one available from their distributors. I clicked many google links just to find it out of stock. Finally I found a store in Florida that showed one. After a 30 minute phone call with them searching high and low they found it. It arrived today. We got her all set up and ready to roll. Hopefully this one shoots as good as our other one.
View attachment 3942View attachment 3943View attachment 3944View attachment 3945
That’s awesome! Good job on your dad skills!