What's new

Request for information

CS Boomis

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d like some feedback from some of y’all on footwear. Long story but PT is risen to the top of the priority list. I need some footwear recommendations. What boots tick all the boxes for PT and rucking? When I was a spot back in the day we did everything in the issue black combat boots. I’m torn between the Danner hot weather RAT boot and the Rocky boot SV2. My only reservation on the Rockies is rucking lifespan. If there are others worth considering I am definitely open to suggestions. All I know for certain is that they need to be up for the mileage. Thanks!

I’d like some feedback from some of y’all on footwear. Long story but PT is risen to the top of the priority list. I need some footwear recommendations. What boots tick all the boxes for PT and rucking? When I was a spot back in the day we did everything in the issue black combat boots. I’m torn between the Danner hot weather RAT boot and the Rocky boot SV2. My only reservation on the Rockies is rucking lifespan. If there are others worth considering I am definitely open to suggestions. All I know for certain is that they need to be up for the mileage. Thanks!
You didn't mention what boot height you are looking for and I am not familiar with the ones you mentioned. The most comfortable boots I have ever put on my feet were the Salomon GTX4 IIRC. They are several years old. The Quest 4 looks like the same boot in their current line. At least for me they required zero break in time. They are probably considered a 3/4 boot rising just above the ankle.

^
Good detail. I’m partial to an 8” boot. It seems like anything lower I end up kicking rocks into my boot tops. I’ve only owned one pair of Solomons and they were a mixed climbing boot from back when I was taller and mountains were shorter. LOL Thanks for the suggestion, I’m going to go look around at their current line.

Tough choice. I'm not sure I've had those exact models but I've worn Danner and Rocky boots extensively over the past 40 years. Both have discontinued the models I liked most. I have a pair of Raptor boots I use (more like 'used') in really cold and snowy weather. Right now I have a pair of the Danner USMC tan combat boots. I like those for comfort but the soles get really hard and slick when it's cold...even though they're insulated for cold weather.

Have you looked into barefoot style footwear? Open, wide toe box, near zero drop, and flexible sole? There’s some compelling info for it being better for you than conventional styles. Lems, Freet, Vivo Barefoot, Bearfoot, among others are companies you could look into, as well as anyasreviews.com and thebarefootshoereview.com for info on most barefoot options.

For more traditional/conventional, I think Salomon and Merrell are hard to go wrong with. I had a pair of Merrell mid height Moab’s that I trashed all over the place from working cows and building fence on the farm to hiking in New Mexico Colorado and Hawaii. They were abused nearly daily for years. I would go in and try them on somewhere or consider ordering a size bigger and wider though, mine did run small.

The Danner RAT boots are great, but heavy.

If you want 8” combat boot kinda stuff, you could look at Bates and Belleville boots. Cheaper than Danner, not as good of warranty or quality, but they’re lighter, cheaper, and still offer a lot of the same qualities.

After getting out of the gun club I have mostly gotten away from combat boots. I’ve found trail running shoes to be a great choice for me. I get the comfort and agility of shoes, with the traction of mild cleats, and still have a little protection and durability that you would want from a combat boot.

I wear Altra shoes, their athletic shoes for the gym, and their trail running shoes for just about everything else. Most of their offerings give you enough room for prescription insoles if you need them, they have very generous toe boxes if you have wide feet. They also offer high tops.

You mention rocks in your shoes and shit. A lot of trail running shoes have points to attach gaiters to them. That will typically prevent your problems.
IMG_4127.jpegIMG_4126.jpeg
I find most Altras are made for wide feet. I used to wear Salomon’s, but they’re typically very narrow. If you’re near OKC I suggest checking with REI or Red Coyote and see what they have/get fitted. Red coyote actually has you walk on a treadmill and they analyze your gait and how you walk, and can really help with getting what you need.

Last edited:
Have you looked into barefoot style footwear?
Paging @Tedkennedy , the patron saint(?) of sandal-shod run-n-gunning.

If you want 8” combat boot kinda stuff, you could look at Bates
I've had a few pairs of Bates boots. I couldn't comment on their durability for rucking, but their Zero Mass boots were very comfortable and exceptionally light. If you watch Woot!, you can occasionally catch them on sale dirt cheap (IIRC, I paid something like $25-$50 for the Zero Mass boots I bought from them).

I've had a few pairs of Bates boots. I couldn't comment on their durability for rucking, but their Zero Mass boots were very comfortable and exceptionally light. If you watch Woot!, you can occasionally catch them on sale dirt cheap (IIRC, I paid something like $25-$50 for the Zero Mass boots I bought from them).
Man I forgot about woot

I have had good luck with Salomon and Oakley boots. I have about 8 years on my current Oakley pair.

If you really wanted Ted’s attention, you would’ve paid $69 for those boots

I had kind of set my mind on the Rockys because of the sole profile being a little more conducive to running, but when I put a pair of summer RATs on I fell in love. My favoritest boots in lace ups are Whites Smoke Jumpers. I have one pair that I have been beating the woods with for a long damn time. When I was working between the long steel I broke down and ordered a pair with Corcoran toes and kevlar stitching. I wore those down to moccasins before I had them rebuilt. That sole just doesn’t work for running and rucking though.

These Danners are a lot lighter than the others in the RAT series and I’ll be surprised if they don’t hold up to light rucking for a long while. The price was impossible to beat.

Reactions: Roy
The Danner RAT boots are great, but heavy.

If you want 8” combat boot kinda stuff, you could look at Bates and Belleville boots. Cheaper than Danner, not as good of warranty or quality, but they’re lighter, cheaper, and still offer a lot of the same qualities.

After getting out of the gun club I have mostly gotten away from combat boots. I’ve found trail running shoes to be a great choice for me. I get the comfort and agility of shoes, with the traction of mild cleats, and still have a little protection and durability that you would want from a combat boot.

I wear Altra shoes, their athletic shoes for the gym, and their trail running shoes for just about everything else. Most of their offerings give you enough room for prescription insoles if you need them, they have very generous toe boxes if you have wide feet. They also offer high tops.

You mention rocks in your shoes and shit. A lot of trail running shoes have points to attach gaiters to them. That will typically prevent your problems.
View attachment 3590View attachment 3591
I find most Altras are made for wide feet. I used to wear Salomon’s, but they’re typically very narrow. If you’re near OKC I suggest checking with REI or Red Coyote and see what they have/get fitted. Red coyote actually has you walk on a treadmill and they analyze your gait and how you walk, and can really help with getting what you need.
I’m filing this away. My kid is 14 and wears a size 13 1/2 wide as a sheet of plywood. We have hell trying to find shoes for him. He’s trying to get me to try some trail boots he found with all the toe pockets. I’m not saying no, but I’m skeptical.

My next set of work boots will probably be Whites or Nicks, they’re overkill but I’m not impressed with what you get from a $300 glued sole work boot these days

I went and looked on the Merrell site to see if I could find the pair I have now (that I don’t like as much as the Moab), and wow they have gotten much more expensive. I think the boots I have now I bought on sale for $60, and that’s about what I paid for the Moab’s as well.

My next set of work boots will probably be Whites or Nicks, they’re overkill but I’m not impressed with what you get from a $300 glued sole work boot these days
I had my Whites rebuilt and it was about 250ish less than I paid for them new. I think if I roll with their brand any further I’ll just buy stock designs and wear the out. Nicks is not afraid to try a. Range of good leathers and tweak the designs out of curiosity if nothing else it appears. One thing I know to be true is loggers and paved surfaces are not the greatest combination.

Reactions: Roy
Hate to say it, but if rucking is a/the priroity in your PT regimen, then get a pair of old issue black boots or jungles (Altama still makes them) or maybe even some Bates suede (not as good IMO) for the ruck part alone. All the hiking/approach boots are really not good for a lot of rucking (To clarify, road march rucking including dirt roads). You can do it but they tend to wear out your feets and calves because they are made for load carrying on rocks and off road with really stiff shanks and ankles. The converse for trail shoes is they don't provide enough support for rucking and will make you fuck your feet up...especially your arches.

If rucking is an occasional part of your regimen, then you'd be good to go with a good hiking/approach boot (not shoe and not a mountain boot).

Last edited:
I was able to pick up a pair of Danner summer RATS brand new for 65 bucks and they are so damn comfortable I don’t want to take them off. I’ll probably change things up a bit as we progress, but what I wouldn’t give to have had a pair of these when I was eighteen.