What's new

Request for information

Where at?
Brigadoon up here in the city. It’s kind of a crap shoot on sizing. I went in kind of leaning towards the S2Vs. I picked up a pair of insulated RATS first and those suckers are heavy and I don’t wear insulated boots except Pacs when it’s cold AF. I picked up the summer weight and they were pretty light in the hand. I put them on and made a couple of trips up and down the aisle and headed to the register. Unless they completely disintegrate, which I don’t expect, they’s the shizzle.

Reactions: Roy
Personally I think the RAT is one of the greatest boots ever made and Danner was sent to this world by God himself...

However everyone has different feed. Boot manufactures all work off the last that they think is the ideal last and thus each fit different. you really need to try several manufacturers to see what is best for you. A good store will measure your feet and how you walk find what is best REI will do this, I think redwings does as well. there are other factors like leather quality, thinkness, sole composition etc

Also Bates are fucking garbagr

I completely understand the differences in feet and boots. I had a pair of Danners forty years ago that I flat racked up the miles on before they were unfit for polite society. It took me several hard years to render them trash. Uncle Sugars specs for footwear are a litany of compromises to find a reasonable mean for the widest variety of people. Danner just uses their experience to produce a product at a price acceptable to the procurement department that fulfills the contract specs. The fact that they can fill my requirements at a tasty price is a parallel benefit to me. Back when I was young single and reasonably flush I went to Loveless in OKC and had them make all my saddle and dress boots for me. Nike has never in their history made a pair of shoes as comfortable as a pair of custom fit boots and they wore extremely well too. I’m certain without reservation that I can find better than the RATS, but I can’t find anything that tops them by cost benefit comparison. I remember when the Rocky boot company started. You were lucky to get a hard weekend out of them. They made Dollar General kicks look like triathlon gear. Obviously they’ve worked out their routine because they’re still here and have NSN numbers. If my fluffy ass returns to the hard as a flint chip days of yore and I’m hauling my dinero around in dump trucks you can rest assured that my entire game is going up a few notches.

I appreciate all the leads and insight everyone has provided. There’s no one right answer and as conditions change so will the tools.

Looks like Nicks has come out with a few options for a “tactical” style boot.

1708778468847.jpeg
1708778519233.jpeg

That Nick’s Boots is an interesting outfit. There’s not much they aren’t willing to explore while making hand built boots. I had no idea how vast the vintage boot culture was until I started looking for parallels to my Whites. I suppose it just stands to reason, but it seems like there are some young folks resurrecting old boots with any life left in them or build a pair around a vintage speed lace hook or grommet. The demand for original replacement soles and heels is off the hook. Pretty dang cool actually.

Reactions: Roy
I happened onto them after getting my Red Card, and some guys online were pushing people to them over Whites for better QC. I never ordered because my dept wouldn’t help us keep our card status active, even though they were the ones mandating us get it in the first place. Nicks has their “trooper” model I may just try for work boots, that could double for wildland if I ever decide I want to take the week course again so that I can go make some extra cash.