What's new

What’s a good .223 powder?

Pochanaquarhip

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
I picked up a shit load more lake city brass at the range today. I already have a fat fifty can full of cleaned and ready to go lake city brass and I think it’s finally time to go ahead and start loading .223.

I have 1000 55gr FMJ bullets already but just needing a good powder for plinking rounds. I’m not trying to get crazy accuracy so I need a powder that’s affordable and easy to get. I’m not against getting some pull down powder if anyone has seen any in stock?

Few more questions… do I HAVE to trim every piece of brass if I’m not loading for precision? I’ve never mass loaded any rifle cartridges. What’s the Easiest way to lube around 100 pieces of .223 at a time?

Edit: I found two military powders and one is similar to BL-C(2) and one is similar to H335. Prices are very affordable for 16lbs. What do yall think?

Last edited:
I guess I might add I will need a powder that works well in a powder drop. I will be using one of these:

IMG_3681.jpeg

I use H322 I use an older rcbs chargemaster lite I do trim them all because everything I could find said for an AR15 you should trim them all some said crimp but I don’t crimp maybe I should 23.0 grains of the H322

I also used H322 last time I was loading 223. Had good results, was actually pretty accurate too with v-max 55’s

I like Ramshot TAC. Meters like water.
That's what I've gone to for 77 grain OTM's. I do like N135 for 62 grain stuff.

If I was loading 55 grain pills with a powder drop, Tac or H335 would be my favorites.

That's what I've gone to for 77 grain OTM's. I do like N135 for 62 grain stuff.

If I was loading 55 grain pills with a powder drop, Tac or H335 would be my favorites.
Yep I’ve run h4895 and 8208xbr for vmax hunting loads and I use my chargemaster. For my 55gr fmj and sp bulk loads I run them on my Dillon 550 with tac in the powder dispenser.

I like N140 for the 77gr berger bullets. I have some 223 cfe I need to try for the 69 gr bullets.

7000 grains per pound so divide 7000 by your charge weight,, that will be your answer.

Pretend: Charge - 23 gr. 7000/23 = 304.34, so you'll get about 300 rounds for a 23gr charge out of a pound.

JeVapa pretty much summed it up. I load 24gr of TAC so I get just under 300 rounds from a pound.

7000 grains per pound so divide 7000 by your charge weight,, that will be your answer.

Pretend: Charge - 23 gr. 7000/23 = 304.34, so you'll get about 300 rounds for a 23gr charge out of a pound.
This is provided you don't spill shit all over your bench because you forgot to close the valve on your measure

This is provided you don't spill shit all over your bench because you forgot to close the valve on your measure
Do you reloaders recycle that spillage? Muzzleloaders are the extent of my “reloading”, and I recycle spillage. Beard hairs, food crumbs, dust, fingernail clippings etc included. I use a credit card to scrape spillage so I prob look like a coke head when I start making extra shots.

Do you reloaders recycle that spillage? Muzzleloaders are the extent of my “reloading”, and I recycle spillage. Beard hairs, food crumbs, dust, fingernail clippings etc included. I use a credit card to scrape spillage so I prob look like a coke head when I start making extra shots.

My spillage goes into a separate container with other powders mixed in. When I get a full pound I sell it on OSA labeled “tight wad”

Depends if I've cleaned the bench area prior. With N570, I do as it's like gold