What's new

What powder for 44 Mag

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
What's everyone been using to load it? I'll be running some hunting loads of 225 grain Hornady FTX and running them pretty warm out of a 20"

I have some H110 on hand. Lil' Gun looks it gives about a 100 FPS over others. Never loaded with it though.

Appreciate any experience with powders in this weight class.

Thanks OKBalls

IMR4227 is another…I always see it in some kind of magnum pistol charge. W296 is identical to H110 so you have that too.

Idk bout powders for the 44mag, but I use lil'gun in my heavy 45c ruger hunting loads,

and it does just fine

45c and 44mag are very similar rounds when loaded for use in modern firearms that are made for heavy high power calibers.

The lil'gun hunting loads I use in my ruger, I would not shoot through my cimarron or colt saa revolvers.

I've used h110 & imr4227 in my 45c hunting loads & 357 and 41mags also,

357 still use h110, but my 41mag use lil'gun with cast 265gr hunting load, it's hot outta 6.5" barreled ruger.

Last edited:
I use winchester large pistol primers, I've also used wolf large pistol primers and cci lp magnum primers.

Back when I chrono'd loads the Winchester primers with lilgun, h110 & 4227 gave more consistent fps, es & sd readings.

But reloading components are a bit scarce nowadays, so I use whatever brand I got on hand, and no better than I shoot I don't really notice the difference in the field

I'll be running some hunting loads of 225 grain Hornady FTX and running them pretty warm out of a 20"
That seems like a pretty light round for hunting with a 44. Any particular reason for using those bullets instead of a heavy jacketed SP? I loaded up a bunch of 265gr FTX in my 444 Marlin and they sucked fucking balls. Way inaccurate.

Multiple places in hunting forums (not the paid for reviews in online magazines) say the FTX bullet blows for penetration; apparently, they expand early and the deers haul ass. I won't know because after using them to sight in my rifle, I pulled them all down and went with a traditional jacketed SP.

The more I read, the more I'm seeing the same. I also read that you have to trim brass back much further with the FTX. I guess I was looking at replacement for Hornady's factory stuff.

Seems the heavier than normal handgun bullets work better in rifles.

The more I read, the more I'm seeing the same. I also read that you have to trim brass back much further with the FTX. I guess I was looking at replacement for Hornady's factory stuff.
See about getting some jacketed SP from Gold Country ammo

Nosler 240 JSP's arrived today. Fingers crossed, will have some loads for this weekend. Still waiting on brass and a die