What's new

Got Compost?

OK Corgi Rancher

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
Our compost pile is steadily growing. I dumped lots of chicken coop poop and hay today then turned it all over on top of it. It's looking really good. I'm learning this compost thing as I go but so far it seems to be working. I need to make a trip down to the Ada sale barn for a couple of loads of horse/cow manure. The pile's getting so big I may have to divide it into two piles. It's getting to be a little more than my little tractor can handle. I need to start a second one anyway since we'll probably use most of this one in the coming spring.

20231231_102634.jpg20231231_105330.jpg

I miss my chickens so much. Never would I have though I would move to Oklahoma and find out they were banned.

I think the nitrogen was worth more than the eggs.
What’s banned? Your chickens?

Is it just your neighborhood? Cause many municipalities have been turning towards encouraging backyard chicken ownership.
Its mostly the HSA, but Edmond also has ridiculous requirements, inspections and does allow enough birds for healthy flock rotation. My yard would not qualify for building a coop in due to setback. In Seattle I was self sustaining, I had about a dozen layers, a rooster and would run 25 or so meat birds every 6 months. Legally questionable but no-one cared.

Its mostly the HSA, but Edmond also has ridiculous requirements, inspections and does allow enough birds for healthy flock rotation. My yard would not qualify for building a coop in due to setback. In Seattle I was self sustaining, I had about a dozen layers, a rooster and would run 25 or so meat birds every 6 months. Legally questionable but no-one cared.
Sounds like @Cowcatcher is right. GFTOutta there.

Anyone on here gone the Hugelkultur route yet?

How large did you go? Anything you’ve learned that you’d do different?

I just use old galvanized stock tanks. If the bottom isn’t rotten I drill holes so water can go out. Fill the bottom in with elm wood I don’t burn in my fireplace because it stinks and then throw leaves, twigs, whatever I find around my yard in there then fill up with compost and soil. I also throw kitchen scraps in there during the winter like my egg shells and coffee grounds… oh I also throw my fire place ash in there as well and put dirt on top of it.

We used to go to the fairgrounds and get several truckbed loads of old stable straw. It's horse manure and straw already mixed when they clean the stables and replace with fresh straw. It's the best because you have plant matter mixed in and you can use it as mulch for your plants or till it for your soil. And you don't burn anything since it's not pure manure, and it's easy to move and place...you can use a pitchfork.

Yes got a small compost pile, but hell i'm lazy use the fel on the tractor to turn it and move to where we use it,

When busy working I give my woman $20 to drive the 3/4t to norman compost facility,

at $10 for a full 8' bed cab high truck load of decent compost isn't bad