What's new

One of my 80% Pistol Builds

danc46

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here is one of several I built. Haven’t really finished with this one, needing to do some fine tuning on the trigger take up.
The Holosun is a green dot with solar charging. 😂 Ive equipped most of my ARs with red dots so I went with a green dot on my “race gun”. I like it a lot.
I cant work the slide right now after having wrist/thumb surgery a few weeks ago. I’ve got to get this handgun and the others I built broken in. The 10mm I’ve carried the last two deer seasons is well broken in. I just got these firing reliably and stored them to deal with later. That was August of 2022. Time moves fast for me anymore!
IMG_1818.jpeg

I need some help with my P80 builds. As of now they work sometime. they have pissed me off so much I just put them in the safe. Unless I can have someone else look at then or I decide I’m going to work on them. They are just going to set there.

Without see
I need some help with my P80 builds. As of now they work sometime. they have pissed me off so much I just put them in the safe. Unless I can have someone else look at then or I decide I’m going to work on them. They are just going to set there.
Aftermarket parts are often junk on Glocks. Extractors and firing pins need to be Glock if you can find them. And the after market barrels need t be polished till they shine like a new dime in a Nubian goats ass.
im using 10mm extractors on my 45s and 10mm. Even put one on my factory 21.
Getting the 10mm conversion barrel in the 21 slide had me cussing everytime I picked it up. It now works across all of the 21 slides I now have.
I used a sharpie to mark engagement surfaces where the barrel hit the slide. Polished them up with a dremel and 1000 gri, then polished again with Flitz. You gotta go slow, assemble, disassemble, polish, reassemble, shoot, etc. Lots of time involved taking little bits of metal off carefully.
Not necessarily worth the effort but you learn by doing.

Without see

Aftermarket parts are often junk on Glocks. Extractors and firing pins need to be Glock if you can find them. And the after market barrels need t be polished till they shine like a new dime in a Nubian goats ass.
im using 10mm extractors on my 45s and 10mm. Even put one on my factory 21.
Getting the 10mm conversion barrel in the 21 slide had me cussing everytime I picked it up. It now works across all of the 21 slides I now have.
I used a sharpie to mark engagement surfaces where the barrel hit the slide. Polished them up with a dremel and 1000 gri, then polished again with Flitz. You gotta go slow, assemble, disassemble, polish, reassemble, shoot, etc. Lots of time involved taking little bits of metal off carefully.
Not necessarily worth the effort but you learn by doing.
Most is gray ghost aftermarket part. I have about a grand in each one and they still don’t work. I have swapped, polished, lapping compound, greased. You name it I have prob done it. I got my 9mm working i thought but after 20 or so rounds. It’s back to shit. plus the rounds come straight back over the top of the slide and will hit you on the head. Not a fan of that at all. Disassemble clean grease and it works again. I may have about 75 rounds through it. my 45 will not go into battery after fired. But I can tap the back of the slide with my thumb and it’s ready to fire again.

Most is gray ghost aftermarket part. I have about a grand in each one and they still don’t work. I have swapped, polished, lapping compound, greased. You name it I have prob done it. I got my 9mm working i thought but after 20 or so rounds. It’s back to shit. plus the rounds come straight back over the top of the slide and will hit you on the head. Not a fan of that at all. Disassemble clean grease and it works again. I may have about 75 rounds through it. my 45 will not go into battery after fired. But I can tap the back of the slide with my thumb and it’s ready to fire again.

The frame get enough of the 20% removed?

Yes. Hand filled down the frame and then sanded smooth. on the 45 it’s like I need a heavier spring but that would slow the cycle down. i don’t know I’m just tired of throwing parts at it. I need help with it.

I think the Gen 4 ejectors will fix the spent case ejection pattern. If your having FTF or it won't go into battery you might check your recoil channel that you cut in the frame is not dragging.

Last edited:
I think the Gen 4 ejectors will fix the spent case ejection pattern. If your having FTF or it won't go into battery you might check your recoil channel that you cut in the frame is not dragging.
Yes, Yes.

Yes. Hand filled down the frame and then sanded smooth. on the 45 it’s like I need a heavier spring but that would slow the cycle down. i don’t know I’m just tired of throwing parts at it. I need help with it.
What was suggested - the recoil spring channel - being too narrow could be it. I have a blind file set (smooth on all sides but one) that I used quite a bit on my frames to open it up.
Another thing that I did that maybe I shouldn’t have was polish the sides of the barrel in the outside of the chamber. The 10mm conversion barrel for the 21 fit one slide but not the other two. When I finished it worked in all three. I used the sharpie repeatedly on the barrel to find where it was dragging.
polisihing the breech face of the slide also will help. Less friction for the cartridge base when feeding into the chamber. EVERY CHAMBER ON THE AFTERMARKET BARRELS required polishing several times To get them to feed properly.
The rail insert in the frame may also need to be polished.
And one thing I learned, run those things dry. No lube.Too much lube and the trigger may not reset.
Triggers not resetting seems to be a common problem on the home builds.

Last edited:
If I actually buy a 3d printer. Can I print these? I think I'd rather pay for the fn or sig😷

If I actually buy a 3d printer. Can I print these? I think I'd rather pay for the fn or sig😷
I thought about that but I have got enough “projects” before opening another door and going down more corridors.

I thought about that but I have got enough “projects” before opening another door and going down more corridors.
I have a 3D printed frame. dealing with these 2 P80 it will not be for me.

Here is another one of Poly80s I built in 45 acp. I hung a combination laser/light on it for grins and giggles. It was only $50 and it seems to work well. This gun has about 100 rounds through it. Last time I shot it I hung an SGM extended mag on it with 26 rounds in it. It didn’t miss a lick. Accuracy was good.
I‘ll say my first gen Glock 21 is more accurate but not by much.
That laser light just quite doesn’t reach the first slot because of the trigger guard but could be made to fit with a few file strokes. All of my 80% handguns have the trigger take up adjustment on them but I’m leaving them as close to a stock Glock trigger as possible except for the “race gun”. I will eventually set it up with as little take up as possible depending on functioning.
i bought a Rock Island Tactical 1911 and it has a very sweet trigger. There is a huge difference in the click of a good 1911 and the clack of a Glock type large frame.
IMG_1831.jpeg

Pin holes look good. Did you use a drill press or a dremel press?

My $300~ish PSA Dagger works great and even has a threaded barrel. Yes, “they” know I have it. But if you’ve ever filled out a 4473, been on a gun forum, purchased gun parts/accessories with a cc or even texted about firearms, “they” know you have one/some too.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the *idea* of an 80%, put there’s some real doozies out there.

My $300~ish PSA Dagger works great and even has a threaded barrel. Yes, “they” know I have it. But if you’ve ever filled out a 4473, been on a gun forum, purchased gun parts/accessories with a cc or even texted about firearms, “they” know you have one/some too.
Don’t get me wrong, I love the *idea* of an 80%, put there’s some real doozies out there.

I think building 80% Glocks is more about the fun of it and not so much the ghost gun part of it.

I agree with you. I could assemble/disassemble a Glock before I built these. Now I know them much better and can trouble shoot one much quicker.
ive had everything from triggers refusing to reset to breaking the nose off a firing pin to extraction problems to feed problems.
Glock factory parts are hard to get sometimes and a lot of aftermarket is crap.
I didn’t learn this at a factory armorers class. I helped other people get their’s working, spent some time at the range with friends, etc
I learned, helped others, and had fun but it wasn’t free. I still think I came out ahead. 😎