What's new

Williams Peep Sights?

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
Anyone install or use these? My Model 94 shoot so damn high, I'm either going to need a different front sight or see if this will work. I do like the idear of a peep sight on it, just not sure if this is the right route.

Thanks in advance

I used them. They are the sight to use on old guns. Now, depending on which sight you get will depend if you have to hack on your rifle. They should have one or two models that replace the rear blade sight you have, but most are attached to the rear receiver and usually involves drilling holes in it. If it already has holes drilled and tapped, then your gtg.
Me personally, I wouldn’t do that, I’d look for some that could be installed without hacking on it.
Isn’t your engraved and cased color hardened? And what kind of rear sight is on it? A buckhorn?

I used them. They are the sight to use on old guns. Now, depending on which sight you get will depend if you have to hack on your rifle. They should have one or two models that replace the rear blade sight you have, but most are attached to the rear receiver and usually involves drilling holes in it. If it already has holes drilled and tapped, then your gtg.
Me personally, I wouldn’t do that, I’d look for some that could be installed without hacking on it.
Isn’t your engraved and cased color hardened? And what kind of rear sight is on it? A buckhorn?
It is. It's also predrilled it looks like (on the side), but my Saddle Ring will get in the way. That would have to be removed.

It is. It's also predrilled it looks like (on the side), but my Saddle Ring will get in the way. That would have to be removed.
If you have a buckhorn rear sight, which it looks like you do, you may not need a rear peep, unless you just really have to have one.

There are three aiming points on a buckhorn (most buckhorns) and most people don't know that. Even the ones who won't admit it because they've had a 30-30 for years and know all but never knew how a buckhorn rear works - this is definitely a boomer/silent Gen thing for sure.

If you have a buckhorn rear sight, which it looks like you do, you may not need a rear peep, unless you just really have to have one.

There are three aiming points on a buckhorn (most buckhorns) and most people don't know that. Even the ones who won't admit it because they've had a 30-30 for years and know all but never knew how a buckhorn rear works - this is definitely a boomer/silent Gen thing for sure.
I do.

I can remove my ladder and bring the POI down or keep the ladder in and use the front sight hood if I need to.

I just installed a Ranger Point Precision Peep on my 44 mag Henry and fell in love with it. Exploring options for my 94.

Last edited:
I really dislike buckhorn sights, so on my 94 I put a Marble Bullseye rear sight on and a marble brass front sight. I really like it. Not as precise as I would like to be, but it will get the job done on a deer sized target at 200 yards, which is precisely what the rifle needs to do. I kinda think of it as the red dot of peep sights.

1710446807818.jpeg

I really dislike buckhorn sights, so on my 94 I put a Marble Bullseye rear sight on and a marble brass front sight. I really like it. Not as precise as I would like to be, but it will get the job done on a deer sized target at 200 yards, which is precisely what the rifle needs to do. I kinda think of it as the red dot of peep sights.

View attachment 4266
That's kinda cool looking.

I’ve got one on a Marlin 336, and I like it. It was already installed when I bought the rifle. Currently, it’s my main short range deer gun, but my old ass eyes will probably need a scope before much longer.

Williams peep is probably what I should have put on my 1895 "cowboy",

but at the time I bought it I figured it's a 45/70gvnt,

And I was going to need a bit of elevation to reach the buffalo way up dakota way,

So I bought a marble's tang mounted peep sight,

that sight raises the muzzle higher to arch a 425gr bullet to fly farther than I could ever hit anything accurately at.

Would like to find a williams peep for my 99 savage though.

No sir. Shouldn't have to. I really don't want to permanently modify this rifle at all. I'll Kentucky wind it before I go drilling
View attachment 4269
It’s already drilled for a sight. They even scratched circles around the grub screws for ya. It just demands the decency of a vintage color cased set. I’m certainly glad you snatched that thing up. I kept looking at it periodically and I could feel my resolve slipping every time I contemplated the cased finish on those curleyqued slab flanks… sheesh! Making me start sweating all over again.

It’s already drilled for a sight. They even scratched circles around the grub screws for ya. It just demands the decency of a vintage color cased set. I’m certainly glad you snatched that thing up. I kept looking at it periodically and I could feel my resolve slipping every time I contemplated the cased finish on those curleyqued slab flanks… sheesh! Making me start sweating all over again.
I'm still debating it. I was able to drop my rear buckhorn down further after adjusting the back plate on it. Only issue is it won't stay put on the ladder steps should I want to raise it.

That said, zero drop from 50 yard zero to 100 with my Barnes 150 TSX load.

I really do love this rifle though. It checks a lot of boxes and causes a lot of smiles

Just revisiting this thread. Since this rifle doesn’t have a safety have you thought about putting a Marbles sight on the tang? Those things Always pick up fifteen or twenty cool points when you flip them up and blow out the aperture.

Just revisiting this thread. Since this rifle doesn’t have a safety have you thought about putting a Marbles sight on the tang? Those things Always pick up fifteen or twenty cool points when you flip them up and blow out the aperture.
Now you have me pondering........