What's new

O-Ring cause a baffle strike?

rockchalk06

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Staff member
Administrator
Fren
Initial break in of my Rossi this morning. 150 grain Winchester SP. Took a few rounds to get on paper along with 6 unsuppressed to get a zero.

Threw my can on and sent one round at 50. Quiet too! 😁

Second round hit the dirt 15 feet in front of target? Send a third and impacted right about 5 feet. Immediately pulled my can off and did the best I could with a handheld and my phone's zoom to see if I had a baffle strike. Didn't see anything wonky. End cap looked fine and I didn't hear anything. Had ear pro too.

Took the can off and thumped it on the bench. I seen 2 very small pieces of copper jacket. Very small.

Broke out the bore scope and I do see what looks like a light strike? These pictures are from the south end of the can looking towards the end cap.

Blast chamber. No damage at all.
1705874213121.png

1705874229097.png
1705874240903.png

All baffles look perfect. No marks or dings

Here is the end cap looking inside out. I see a deformation there, but no way to tell if that was today or not
1705874287360.png
1705874296728.png
1705874304562.png

When I got home, I noticed there was an O-Ring on the barrel to help keep the thread protector from coming off. I didn't remove this.

Anyway this caused it to be off center?

Thanks in advance OKBalls

Last edited:
I am not super experienced... cause you know why. But most of the strikes I have seen have some sort of exit wound. I would also say if there was no exit or failure of the can then you should at least hear shrapnel shaking around in there? Otherwise I think you are good.

Does the YHM disassemble for cleaning or is it welded?

Yes, the o ring could easily cause miss alignment. I have a Lane titanium suppressor for my 458 when I screwed on the mount I missed the o ring to! I had several baffle "skids" but it did no real damage, just skinned the bullets and accuracy about like you saw. I got out a 45 call range rod and saw the miss alignment immediately. Took it off saw the o ring took it off and re installed the suppressor. Range roded it and no miss alignment!

Last edited:
I am not super experienced... cause you know why. But most of the strikes I have seen have some sort of exit wound. I would also say if there was no exit or failure of the can then you should at least hear shrapnel shaking around in there? Otherwise I think you are good.

It's welded. I've had much worse stikes that deformed the end cap on 5.56 cans at work and they continued to run.

Yes, the o ring could easily cause miss alignment. I have a Lane titanium suppressor for my 458 when I screwed on the mount I missed the o ring to! I had several baffle "skids" but it did no real damage, just skinned the bullets and accuracy about like you saw. I got out a 45 call range rod and saw the miss alignment immediately. Took it off saw the o ring took it off and re installed the suppressor. Range roded it and no miss alignment!
Thank you.

This is what I was hoping to hear.

I didn't bring my bore scope to the range today, so I wanted to stop before I broke shut worse. I really didn't think about the O-Ring as none of my other rifles had them or the O-Ring rode inside the thread protector.

I didn't see any metal except for two tiny copper pieces and that was after I thumped it on the bench. No rattling either 💪

I almost had one, I put a thread adapter on a gun to go from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24. The adapter came with a crush washer, so I put it on with the crush washer. Looked through the barrel before I shot it with my can, could clearly see the baffles in the center of the barrel. Took washer off, all was good. Learned something that day!

I almost had one, I put a thread adapter on a gun to go from 1/2-28 to 5/8-24. The adapter came with a crush washer, so I put it on with the crush washer. Looked through the barrel before I shot it with my can, could clearly see the baffles in the center of the barrel. Took washer off, all was good. Learned something that day!
I have an adapter going from Metric up to 5/8x24 I'll use for my X-Bolt. I'll be doing lots of investigating before I send a round on it.

Initial break in of my Rossi this morning. 150 grain Winchester SP. Took a few rounds to get on paper along with 6 unsuppressed to get a zero.

Threw my can on and sent one round at 50. Quiet too! 😁

Second round hit the dirt 15 feet in front of target? Send a third and impacted right about 5 feet. Immediately pulled my can off and did the best I could with a handheld and my phone's zoom to see if I had a baffle strike. Didn't see anything wonky. End cap looked fine and I didn't hear anything. Had ear pro too.

Took the can off and thumped it on the bench. I seen 2 very small pieces of copper jacket. Very small.

Broke out the bore scope and I do see what looks like a light strike? These pictures are from the south end of the can looking towards the end cap.

Blast chamber. No damage at all.
View attachment 2281

View attachment 2282
View attachment 2283

All baffles look perfect. No marks or dings

Here is the end cap looking inside out. I see a deformation there, but no way to tell if that was today or not
View attachment 2284
View attachment 2285
View attachment 2287

When I got home, I noticed there was an O-Ring on the barrel to help keep the thread protector from coming off. I didn't remove this.

Anyway this caused it to be off center?

Thanks in advance OKBalls
Yes, an o-ring would affect concentricity. Some companies put the o-ring for shipping so the thread protector won’t fall off. The suppressor should seat against the shoulder.

Pretty much what everyone else had already said. Even with the suppressor muzzle brakes/flashhiders come with shims and not a crush washer or o ring for this reason.

O-ring didn’t cause this. Bullet hole ain’t in the center of barrel I bet.