What's new

You want a nice Fanny pack?

HoLeChit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
After seeing a lot of grown men clutch their pearls and work all too hard to overassert their straightness elsewhere, I decided to snag up a Fanny pack. Also, @PanhandleGlocker deserves a big thanks for the inspiration as well.

It all started when I went on our honeymoon last year, figured I would be wearing swim shorts a lot in Hawaii, and wanted to keep everything handy and on my person. So I bought a crappy/mediocre Fanny pack. While the design was terrible, it did what I needed it to, and I was sold on the idea. A few months later PHG posts his thread, and I decided I wanted to go ahead and pull the trigger. I was sold on hill people gear’s offerings. Made in ‘muricuh, good folks, good gear. Sadly, they’re often sold out. After some waiting and watching, I finally got two colors in I have been waiting for: the Snubby in manatee/black, and the medium in elk. Shipping went well, customer service was great, and they even offer a small 5% military /first responder discount if you ask nicely and send in proof. Sadly, the package showed up 2 days late, thanks only to the United States Post Office. Their guaranteed 2 day shipping turned into 4. Big surprise.
IMG_4030.jpeg
Immediately, I noticed the quality of these bags. They’re solid. Feel well made, sturdy, minimal frills, and thought out nicely. My wife even said “those look real nice”. I’m impressed.
IMG_4033.jpeg
According to HPG, the snubby is only good for small/subcompacts, and the medium will work with G19 sized firearms. Here’s the snubby with my G48, and if you put it in the larger pocket, the snubby could likely carry my 19X without an issue. Both sides of the pouch are sufficiently rigid and have padding to not only help with comfort, but concealment. IMG_4031.jpeg
It fits my 2.25” SP101’s nicely.
IMG_4034.jpeg

Some more shots of the Snubby. The laser cut molle panel inside works with Velcro too, which is pretty sweet, and like the medium, the large internal pouches will hold an AR mag. 10 rounder would allow you to close the bag, larger would stick out. IMG_4035.jpegIMG_4037.jpegIMG_4036.jpeg

IMG_4038.jpegIMG_4041.jpegIMG_4040.jpegIMG_4039.jpegSimilar shots of the Medium, with the 19x in different configurations. Lots of room, enough for 5-6 spare 21 rounders, a light, and a 21 rounder in the pistol.

Or, more likely, a backup mag, snacks for the kids, and anything else you could want. Flashlight pictured is a Fenix TK09, similar in size to my Cloud Defensive MCH, both are 18650 lights. Pocket knife is a 3” douk-douk. Might be a 3.5”. I don’t remember.

Hill people gear also makes chest packs. Pretty much a Fanny pack with straps for your shoulders. I would like to get one or two when the sizes/colors come available that I want. They come in these sizes as well as larger, and a few slimline packs. You can really load these down, and I think that you could really use one of their chest packs as a stuck under the backseat chest rig if you’re into that stuff. I see myself sticking a spare pistol mag, a spare rifle mag, my dog tracker/electronic call remote, range finder, and first aid kit in a chest pack for hunting, which would be super nice and convenient, without looking like a tactical Timmy or larping Larry. Lots of possibilities.
IMG_4035.jpegIMG_4042.jpeg
If you wanna get real wild and floppy, 30 rounders fit in the inside pockets with the zippers open. IMG_4044.jpeg

I'll be honest... I carried in a fanny pack for several years while off duty as a cop (because of all the additional crap I needed) and it was very handy. I got away from them after I left LE because I didn't need as much stuff. I'd still rock one if I had the need.

I really dig HPG, especially their chest packs.
Not sure when I’ll get one as I don’t find myself needing one very often. I could see going that route for carrying a larger hunting/bear defense size handgun like a G40 instead of a Kenai chest rig.

Yeah I don’t find I need one all the time, but especially times such as my honeymoon, our recent trip to Branson, or our ski trip it is nice to have a little extra storage, with the ability to comfortably carry a sidearm all day discretely. I almost never carry enough crap to warrant a backpack while hunting, but I typically do need something. A Fanny pack and my binocular pouch should make the perfect team. I’m sure I’ll be able to find more uses for them now that I have them.

Will you wear it cross body or at your waist?

I got my LOA AIWB holster the other day and now I’ll be attaching a MastermindTactics Pillow to that holster so now I should be able to remove the pillow when not appendix carrying and easily attach the AIWB holster in my FUPA bag since I really like my 19x with the TLR-1HL. The SOE FUPA has the Velcro material inside it as well.

If I don’t carry the 19x in my bag I’ll probably carry my CZ P10C. Still need to get a holster for it.

Are you planning on carrying in your bag unholstered, @HoLeChit ?

You can also get a trigger guard holster on a string, works great for bags.

I still feel weird wearing one. I'm working on it, because I certainly would like the convenience of it.

I think my main issue with fanny packs nowadays, here at least, is that they are one step short of pasting neon letters "I'M CARRYING" on my forehead. Y'all keep spreading the use and I'll be a solid wave 2 adopter..

Edit - mostly applies to everyday around here use. Not really an issue on vacation, hiking etc...

2nd Edit - One other thing that pushed my 'I'm in' needle a little higher is my wife sort of passively made fun of me when I bought a carhartt one at Atwwods not all that long ago. Is it wrong that makes me want to wear it more??

Last edited:
Waiting for @Boob McNutt to come around to show off his purses. Do y'all have a light or heavy flow?
The only one I have was a personal gift from @PanhandleGlocker, I wore that fucker Sunday with a G23 in it 🤣
Sure is a comfy way to sit behind the wheel all day
Bianchi 4410 Top Secret, has a kydex inner liner against your belly

Last edited:
Waist. I don’t like things around my neck at all. If I were skiing I would be wearing it cross body though, under my coat. Would help with retaining it when I have my spectacular wipeouts.

The older you get you’ll realize skiing ain’t worth the fucking injury. 😂

I got my LOA AIWB holster the other day and now I’ll be attaching a MastermindTactics Pillow to that holster so now I should be able to remove the pillow when not appendix carrying and easily attach the AIWB holster in my FUPA bag since I really like my 19x with the TLR-1HL. The SOE FUPA has the Velcro material inside it as well.

If I don’t carry the 19x in my bag I’ll probably carry my CZ P10C. Still need to get a holster for it.

Are you planning on carrying in your bag unholstered, @HoLeChit ?
Nah, I was thinking about trying grey man solutions bag carry option:

Or maybe the mini.

Or maybe trying to sweet talking him into making something especially for Fanny packs using the HPG bags as templates.

Or I was considering a Dale Fricke Zacchaeus holster, which is what HPG suggests and includes a loop in their Fanny packs for.

I still feel weird wearing one. I'm working on it, because I certainly would like the convenience of it.

I think my main issue with fanny packs nowadays, here at least, is that they are one step short of pasting neon letters "I'M CARRYING" on my forehead. Y'all keep spreading the use and I'll be a solid wave 2 adopter..

Edit - mostly applies to everyday around here use. Not really an issue on vacation, hiking etc...

2nd Edit - One other thing that pushed my 'I'm in' needle a little higher is my wife sort of passively made fun of me when I bought a carhartt one at Atwwods not all that long ago. Is it wrong that makes me want to wear it more??
My wife is rarely impressed with my fashion choices, this Fanny pack dealnis no exception.

One thing HPG suggests that I like is to buy a non tactical color, and then put flashy colored zipper pulls on it. For my gray and black snubby pack I was considering purple or neon colored 550cord pulls.

Nah, I was thinking about trying grey man solutions bag carry option:

Or maybe the mini.

Or maybe trying to sweet talking him into making something especially for Fanny packs using the HPG bags as templates.

Or I was considering a Dale Fricke Zacchaeus holster, which is what HPG suggests and includes a loop in their Fanny packs for.

I’d like the mini but I have the TLR-1HL on my 19x and weapon lights are a no go with the mini. I like that grey man offers holsters for the polymer 80 Glock frames though.

I’d like the mini but I have the TLR-1HL on my 19x and weapon lights are a no go with the mini. I like that grey man offers holsters for the polymer 80 Glock frames though.
The fricke holster can be made to accommodate a light, which is nice.