What's new

Cleaning your rifle

I don't clean barrels as much as I use to, but one thing I'm absolutely avid about is keeping them oiled/lubed up. Gas rings, rails, Cam pins, any place that slides, shotguns, rifles, pistols don't matter, after every use they get re oiled!

I never want to get a "Ken" job! 😆

I don't clean barrels as much as I use to, but one thing I'm absolutely avid about is keeping them oiled/lubed up. Gas rings, rails, Cam pins, any place that slides, shotguns, rifles, pistols don't matter, after every use they get re oiled!

I never want to get a "Ken" job! 😆

Dammit! I'd almost gotten over the horror and emotional trauma of Ken's story. Now you've victimized me again by opening that wound. Thanks for that...

For ARs I pay a lot more attention to the BCG. The barrel pretty much just gets a pass or two from the BoreSnake. I'll wipe or flush debris from the chamber area, too, if it needs it. Plenty of lube, of course. Most others just get the BoreSnake and wiped down. I have to pay more attention to the outside of the guns since moving here, I'm finding.

Way back when I was kinda into accuracy and longer range shooting I spent a ton of money on a Remington 40XB in .308 with a nice Leupold scope. Got that setup and hit the range with it and a beat up Savage 110 in 7Mag. The Savage was a whopping $75 delivered from a GunBroker seller and had a cheap scope on it...forget exactly what it was. I went thru the elaborate process of fire a round, clean, fire 3 rounds, clean, etc. Massive PITA (and I didn't notice any improvement in how the gun shot afterwards). It shot well but it sure as hell wasn't what I was expecting. That Savage shot better than the 40X. After that I was exclusively a Savage guy for bolt guns and I've never been disappointed by one. I don't even own a bolt gun today.

That also convinced me that the "break in" process was pretty much a waste of time for me and how I shoot. I break my guns in by shooting them. I've found that many top end barrel makers and gun guys agree, many don't. One of those things you just gotta figure out for yourself which way you wanna go.

Last edited:
Dammit! I'd almost gotten over the horror and emotional trauma of Ken's story. Now you've victimized me again by opening that wound. Thanks for that...

For ARs I pay a lot more attention to the BCG. The barrel pretty much just gets a pass or two from the BoreSnake. I'll wipe or flush debris from the chamber area, too, if it needs it. Plenty of lube, of course. Most others just get the BoreSnake and wiped down. I have to pay more attention to the outside of the guns since moving here, I'm finding.

Way back when I was kinda into accuracy and longer range shooting I spent a ton of money on a Remington 40XB in .308 with a nice Leupold scope. Got that setup and hit the range with it and a beat up Savage 110 in 7Mag. The Savage was a whopping $75 delivered from a GunBroker seller and had a cheap scope on it...forget exactly what it was. I went thru the elaborate process of fire a round, clean, fire 3 rounds, clean, etc. Massive PITA (and I didn't notice any improvement in how the gun shot afterwards). It shot well but it sure as hell wasn't what I was expecting. That Savage shot better than the 40X. After that I was exclusively a Savage guy for bolt guns and I've never been disappointed by one. I don't even own a bolt gun today.

That also convinced me that the "break in" process was pretty much a waste of time for me and how I shoot. I break my guns in by shooting them. I've found that many top end barrel makers and gun guys agree, many don't. One of those things you just gotta figure out for yourself which way you wanna go.
I've never know the break in process to improve accuracy, just making it easier to clean. That's been my experience

I tend to agree with Michael McIntosh, more weapons are worn out with jags and brushes than cartridges and shells.
I disagree with that 100% unless one is using a steel jag and a steel core brush. I don't think there is any evidence that could be found that a brass jag and bronze brushes with a brass core damage steel. That's a pretty bold claim.

Now, a military type steel jag and steel core brushes, with steel uncoated rods, I agree 100% that one could wreck a gun.

^

What he was saying is that more people wear them out taking them apart and putting them together and messing around than actually shooting the bore out. Unless it’s an overbore of significance, most people aren’t going to burn a barrel up. With what should be common knowledge and free availability of top notch cleaning equipment, there’s absolutely no reason for any firearm to suffer a demise from abuse. The denizens of this venue probably conservatively represent the top twenty percent of the current shooting world. I’m still amazed how many videos are posted at least monthly explaining the difference in first and second focal plane optics. 🤦‍♂️

McIntosh was more of a shotgunner but knew his way around the rest of the field. He was probably my favorite outdoor writer that retained facility with the written word

I see what you're saying

I once did a little survey of folks that shoot a bit. Some cleaned meticulously after 100-200 rounds, others didn't clean very often and usually when groups opened up to the unacceptable (personal metric). I averaged what they thought barrel life was/ per round shot. Now every barrel is different, and there are outliers. (The ones that only last 1500 rounds and the ones that shouldn't shoot but are closing in on 15-20,000 rounds), but from the Cleaners to the absolute Sloths, there was about a 250 round difference in overall barrel life, and the cleaning equipment varied greatly from bore snakes to Dewey rods, from stainless steel bristle brushes to only nylon! To a person they were meticulous about lube and oil. So be happy!

I once did a little survey of folks that shoot a bit. Some cleaned meticulously after 100-200 rounds, others didn't clean very often and usually when groups opened up to the unacceptable (personal metric). I averaged what they thought barrel life was/ per round shot. Now every barrel is different, and there are outliers. (The ones that only last 1500 rounds and the ones that shouldn't shoot but are closing in on 15-20,000 rounds), but from the Cleaners to the absolute Sloths, there was about a 250 round difference in overall barrel life, and the cleaning equipment varied greatly from bore snakes to Dewey rods, from stainless steel bristle brushes to only nylon! To a person they were meticulous about lube and oil. So be happy!
So basically like "what's the best 1/2 ton", right?

Has anyone mentioned wear from the cleaning rod at the muzzle like th Garand/M14 carisnts? A bore guide helps tremendously. They are cheap.
A chamber guide for bolt actions will prevent wear in the chamber. They are often specific to the gun make/avtion.
Reagardless if cleaning your bore or not cleaning out lug recesses for bolt lockup can prevent a great deal of wear.
Uve picked up Remington rifles cheap because they were broke. Cleaning out the firing pin channel - tto much oil which turned to grease then hardened - restored them to working order. An ultrasonic cleaner with hot water and Simple Green works to clean out bolts if you can’t or know how to break them down. Also works for handguns.
iWith the introduction of the Glock 17 back in the 80s some folks put their Glocks in the dishwasher for cleaning, 😂😂
And if you value the accuracy of your muzzle loader for deer hunting, clean it as soon as possible. Using 777 it cleans up quick. Obviously don’t let it sit with real black powder or Pyrodex.
Patrickcudd once brought over an inline that hadn’t been cleaned in over a year. We didn’t break the breech plug loose even with Kroil, heat, and a 24” break over. We cracked the deep socket we were using.
Keep in mind where your rifle has been and what you have shot through it, then do an appropriate cleaning Or not.

Last edited:
The barrel isn't the only thing to clean, there is the rest of the gun. I don't clean my guns as often as I probably should but I usually clean them pretty thoroughly. I don't GI them unless I'm bored or am working on one and need it cleaned for inspection or I'm tired of getting black shit everywhere. Minimum I'll do on a gas gun is boresnake and wipe down the bolt/BC and oil it. Might get the big chunks out of the chamber.

This is probably the single most important item ever to happen to the M16...yes, Rick Niemczyk's fantasy pirate fighting arch-nemesis, the M16A1. This is part of the reason for the A1 designation - new round, barrel twist, forward assist, etc, and the ubiquitous cleaning kit.

USGI-Cleaning-Kit-M16A1-NEW-and-UNISSUED-1990s-Vintage_101503215_118492_1C35844734A1F3BB.jpg

Last edited:
The barrel isn't the only thing to clean, there is the rest of the gun. I don't clean my guns as often as I probably should but I usually clean them pretty thoroughly. I don't GI them unless I'm bored or am working on one and need it cleaned for inspection or I'm tired of getting black shit everywhere. Minimum I'll do on a gas gun is boresnake and wipe down the bolt/BC and oil it. Might get the big chunks out of the chamber.

This is probably the single most important item ever to happen to the M16...yes, Rick Niemczyk's fantasy pirate fighting arch-nemesis, the M16A1. This is part of the reason for the A1 designation - new round, barrel twist, forward assist, etc, and the ubiquitous cleaning kit.

View attachment 3707
I got a few of those in my cleaning drawer

Carbon Ring after 102 rounds in my HMR's throat
1710384250509.jpg1710384253112.jpg