What's new

Satterlee test

Try (when you have 10 rounds that all registered) putting the data into a spreadsheet graph

Edited:
This is my method
signal-2024-01-27-15-58-34-512.jpg

Last edited:
I would load up 5 of each of this, and maybe split it with another 5 of 45.1 just to see. See what the SD/ES is for those.

What is your powder bullet combo?

I would load up 5 of each of this, and maybe split it with another 5 of 45.1 just to see. See what the SD/ES is for those.
I’ll have to figure out what the hell is wrong with this stupid chronograph before I do but I was thinking about the same thing

I’ll have to figure out what the hell is wrong with this stupid chronograph before I do but I was thinking about the same thing
Where you at?

If I remember right that Carolina load was slow. It was used as a hunting load If memory serves right.
I was thinking about the speed all I’m going to use these for is hunting deer mainly when I don’t use my 270 I don’t know how slow is too slow I know I’m not crazy about how slow it is

I was thinking about the speed all I’m going to use these for is hunting deer mainly when I don’t use my 270 I don’t know how slow is too slow I know I’m not crazy about how slow it is
I suspect at normal hunting distances you will still be supersonic. Over twice the speed of sound at the muzzle. Should be good.

I just did a quick 6.5 at 2525 mv and you should be good to 700 yards at 875 ft of energy and 1640 fps. To get full dope we will need bullet BC and a true average mv ones you get your load developed.

What I can’t figure out is takeaway the first shot and the majority of the other shots were under an inch

What I can’t figure out is takeaway the first shot and the majority of the other shots were under an inch
Well the purpose of this test when looking at charge weights is only to find charges that result in a plateau, that is a node. Then you can load up a group of that charge to see how the combustion is. After all of that looks good you can tweak the seating depth if your groups are too large for your liking.

Your looking for the mv to not change between or vary little change between powder charges. At 100 yards you might not see that much because the mv. the 2520 and 2527 was the closest for sd snd es. that is a big flat spot. If it was me I would load some 5 at 44.0, 43.9, 43.8 and check that. you want the flat spot in the graph. you should have good sd and es.

Your looking for the mv to not change between or vary little change between powder charges. At 100 yards you might not see that much because the mv. the 2520 and 2527 was the closest for sd snd es. that is a big flat spot. If it was me I would load some 5 at 44.0, 43.9, 43.8 and check that. you want the flat spot in the graph. you should have good sd and es.
I think that Carolina load is 44.3?