What's new

What is your favorite steel?

I'm a fan of CPM MagnaCut. My EDC fixed blade is an MKC Speedgoat in MagnaCut, though I wish it weren't such a high-polish finish. Actually, all of my MKCs are MagnaCut, and the blade on my Leatherman Arc is MagnaCut, too.

I also like the steel on my ZT 0450CF; I'm pretty sure it's DLC-coated S35VN, but it's on the dresser on the other side of the room right now, and confirming that just sounds like too much effort at this hour.

I haven't tried MagnaCut yet. For a beater I like good ol' 1095. I use a lot of A2 and CPM3V. CPM154 is a great all around blade steel. I'm not great at sharpening so if a knife gets dull, I usually put it back into the cabinet and start using another.

I have leaned this direction 52100, M4 and D2. Couple of my daily...
I have that same Benchmade folder in M4. The blade is good but the scales tear up my hand. They're really aggressive. Need a glove on to use for extended periods. It will also shred your pocket if you carry it long enough.

S30V on my benchmade 940, solid enough for my EDC needs.

My brother has a 940 with M4 steel that has really impressed me.

I have that same Benchmade folder in M4. The blade is good but the scales tear up my hand. They're really aggressive. Need a glove on to use for extended periods. It will also shred your pocket if you carry it long enough.
I agree the scales are rough new, mine are a bit smooth now. I won't leave without that blade. I have tried to buy 2 if I find something I like so I have one to carry and one to pass on to my son/daughter.

S30V on my benchmade 940, solid enough for my EDC needs.

My brother has a 940 with M4 steel that has really impressed me.
The 940 was my intro into Osbourne knives. The 940 is arguably the best EDC folder ever.

I haven't tried MagnaCut yet.
I'm not sure how much is the steel and how much is the blade geometry, but that Speedgoat has about the easiest to maintain edge that I've ever had. Just a few passes on the fine stones of my Spyderco Sharpmaker, and it's back to super sharp.