What's new

Glamping

Roaring River state park, Mo. More for a long weekend you won’t be disappointed. Trout fishing, hiking, swimming in certain spot and it’s quiet at night. Some people stay up late but they run the party people off fast.

Edit: yogi bear resort are nice too

just about anywhere for a weekend trip in Oklahoma.

K river campground is on my radar as a location. It’s just under 3 hours from Moore Oklahoma to Moyers Oklahoma

if you want to camp at places where you’ll probably be the only soul around then go up by Kenton / SE Colorado.

Like @AER244 said, the Blue river is a beautiful area, but it can get pretty crowded on the weekends. Another plus for the blue is that it’s free to camp, but you must have a valid Oklahoma fishing license. You might want to check out Camp Doris in the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge. It’s a very family friendly campground, and the refuge has lots of good hiking trails along with numerous small lakes for fishing. A reservation is required for Camp Doris.

Gunnison, Co has land locked salmon you can catch. I would love to visit that place

I’ve been for the day to fish the blue. Didn’t think about camping, I’ll look into that area also.

What are y’all’s top camping spots? I plan on taking my boys for the first time this spring. Just not trying be next to some lake thunderbird people partying all damn night.
I highly recommend picking up the State Park Passport book and start ticking them off with your boys. We did it with our son and had a blast. Not every park is scenic. There’s a couple of duds, but I went out to places I wouldn’t have wandered into for no reason. Hell, I have a pic of the fam at the Three Corners Marker. That sucker ain’t on the beaten path…

Cherokee Landing State Park at Tenkiller has always been my favorite campground. About 8 years ago I invested in an ultralight kit with a good Hennessy Hammock (Asym) and now I can just disappear into any set of trees

Got a tent spot booked at Great Plains State Park in SW Oklahoma for their first trip out.
It’s a pretty area. Backdoor to the Wichita Mountains and there’s also Quartz Mountain state park not far away. Tom Steed is a pretty good fishing lake if it’s not too low. I’ve caught quite a few channel cat on that little lake. If you’ll be fishing from the bank, I’d try to find a point with the wind blowing into your face. If you’re going in the spring, be on the lookout for rattlesnakes if you get off the beaten path.

Got a tent spot booked at Great Plains State Park in SW Oklahoma for their first trip out.
Future possible spots: Atoka WMA. They have pit toilets and running water. Some of the camp sites are on their lake, which is supposedly stocked with monster walleye. I’ve also killed countless squirrels and a huge rattlesnake there. Atoka lake is across the highway too, and civilization isn’t terribly far away. One of my favorite places to go.

Okmulgee WMA is a favorite of mine too. Lots of squirrels and rabbits, lake okmulgee is great fishing. The deep fork produces big flatheads if the water is high. I’ll go catch bluegills at the dock on okmulgee lake and take them to be used for flathead bait that evening on the river. Shooting range goes out to 200 yard and great for changing things up and keeping everyone entertained.

Gore landing is the final name on my top 3 list. Gore has everything you need. Gore landing has RV hookups, water, outhouses, and a boat ramp. Great trout and striper fishing, lots of gar. Good swimming too, but the water can come up fast when the dam releases, so be careful. When the water is low navigation can be a challenge, but worth it. I can hook you up with some insight on navigation and fishing spots there if you need it. There’s WMA hunting nearby, but the trout and striper fishing is so much fun that you’ll likely not get around to it.

Future possible spots: Atoka WMA. They have pit toilets and running water. Some of the camp sites are on their lake, which is supposedly stocked with monster walleye. I’ve also killed countless squirrels and a huge rattlesnake there. Atoka lake is across the highway too, and civilization isn’t terribly far away. One of my favorite places to go.

Okmulgee WMA is a favorite of mine too. Lots of squirrels and rabbits, lake okmulgee is great fishing. The deep fork produces big flatheads if the water is high. I’ll go catch bluegills at the dock on okmulgee lake and take them to be used for flathead bait that evening on the river. Shooting range goes out to 200 yard and great for changing things up and keeping everyone entertained.

Gore landing is the final name on my top 3 list. Gore has everything you need. Gore landing has RV hookups, water, outhouses, and a boat ramp. Great trout and striper fishing, lots of gar. Good swimming too, but the water can come up fast when the dam releases, so be careful. When the water is low navigation can be a challenge, but worth it. I can hook you up with some insight on navigation and fishing spots there if you need it. There’s WMA hunting nearby, but the trout and striper fishing is so much fun that you’ll likely not get around to it.

Thanks for the info! I have looked into the gore area because of the trout fishing. I’ll definitely hit you up if I ever head that way.

Side note I’ll be on the white river in Arkansas for a guys fishing trip this April.

Camping with my wife = renting a cabin somewhere. Very cool. I do like this way. Cabins at Osage hills are fun. Their showers in the cabin will fuck you silly with all that water pressure.

Camping by myself = a three day fishing bender where I sleep on a river bank or in my lawn chair