What's new

Good steak where?

JEVapa

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fren
Here's one that makes all the fudds go crazy...Where can one go get a good steak in OKC? I've only had a good steak in two places there, and had several shitty ones in some of the recommended "steakhouses".

Down here, I'll go to the Plantation.

I'm really damn picky when it comes to a good steak and rarely eat one outside of what I make at the house. I hate it when places put some spice or marinate on the meat. Start with a good Prime cut and cook it over an open flame.

That said, Texas Roadhouse's aged Ribeye is about the only one I will recommend. (That is still open) The atmosphere sucks and they are always singing some ID10T happy birthday, but the meat is good on that one.

Cattlemans is ok. Maybe 5 out of 10. Not worth the money or time waiting.
The Ranch, Saltgrass both disappointed me. I sent the steak back at The Ranch. Only time I've done that in Oklahoma. Marinate tasted like fish

Broadway 10 downtown is where we go, but last I checked they were closed for construction? They are pricy though

Last edited:
I’ve heard several bad comments about Cattleman’s, but I’ve never been disappointed with it. Met my kids there about a month ago, and we were all pleased with it.

ETA: I personally would rank Cattleman’s above the Plantation.

I'm really damn picky when it comes to a good steak and rarely eat one outside of what I make at the house. I hate it when places put some spice or marinate on the meat. Start with a good Prime cut and cook it over an open flame.

That said, Texas Roadhouse's aged Ribeye is about the only one I will recommend. (That is still open) The atmosphere sucks and they are always singing some ID10T happy birthday, but the meat is good on that one.
Texas Roadhouse is a good steak if you like chains. We haven't been there in awhile and go to the Plantation here instead...don't think I'll hit the Roadhouse in the city tho.
Cattlemans is ok. Maybe 5 out of 10. Not worth the money or time waiting.
This is where the crazies come out and start bashing and accusing me of blasphemy and all kinds of other shit, lol.
I have never had a bad steak at Cattleman's, ever. In fact, I've only had good steaks there and excellent Prime Rib and they were worth it. Not saying they don't disappoint some people, just saying I have never been disappointed there, nor had a bad experience. One time, my wife's was med-well (she has an accent) and I sent it back and we got another one promptly that was excellent. Only thing I will never have from them again is the grilled veggies...they served some old ass shit one time like 6 years ago and I'm still scarred. So that's our default place when we go to the city and decide on a whim we want a steak.

The Ranch, Saltgrass both disappointed me. I sent the steak back at The Ranch. Only time I've done that in Oklahoma. Marinate tasted like fish

Broadway 10 downtown is where we go, but last I checked they were closed for construction? They are pricy though
The ranch blew (recommended)...Saltgrass is a chain so when they suck they really suck. I went to some place called red dirt or red rock or something in Norman...they sucked. And I went on recommendation as well to a place called houlihans or something? Sucked.

I like the Hefner grill and I think they have a couple steaks there but I'm afraid to order one because then I'll fucking hate them too.
So I'm wondering if there's another place ...I've been told to go to Mickey mantles but the wait is forever.

We did go to Gordon Ramsey's and that was one of the best meals ever...Beef Wellington. The wife got a steak and it was one of the best I've tasted., but I have to plan a night for GR. So, for me, it's Cattleman's or GR, but I'd like to find another place to get a steak in the City.

Last edited:
What kind of steak experience are we talking? Somewhere you can get a good steak and a beer, or somewhere you can take the old lady to a nice dinner and get yourself a great steak with it?

My picks for OKC:

Paseo grill. We love the place. Pricey, but I haven’t had a bad experience there. Snazzy enough to get brownie points for a nice night out, casual enough that you don’t have to do much more than throw a collared shirt on. If they have it, their key lime pie is amazing too.

The drake is pretty good for their steak, better for seafood, but wonderful as a whole experience. Fun place, fresh shucked oysters, great drinks. If I’m not getting seafood I get the steak and preface it with a strong red and some oysters. Pretty casual, but neat place. My wife loves their pimento cheese and cucumber margarita.

I haven’t been, but stock and bond is on my list of places to go for a steak.

One of my favorite places to go for a steak in the city. They’re damn good here 90% of the time. Good drinks too, limited bar selection though if you’re picky.

Hefner grill and red rock grill on Hefner lake are usually pretty decent, but I wouldn’t put them on my list of places to go for a steak.

Obligatory not in OKC mentions:
“Bull in the alley” in Tulsa. Probably one of the best steaks I have ever eaten.
“Ken’s steak and ribs” in Amber. I love the place.

I won’t go back to Mickey Mantles or Red Prime unless the food is dirt cheap or free.

they arent exactly steak places, but you can get a steak if you want- Michael's Grill in Nichols Hills and Signature Grill in Edmond. The food and service should be pretty good at both.

while mahogany/ranch/red prime/bobs etc arent bad, i dont feel like i ever got my money's worth from them either. of those, i think bob's is the best. my favorite place to eat a steak is at home over charcoal or in the woods over some oak logs.

Firebird's in chisholm creek isnt bad for the price. its not prime, but it is wood fired.

they arent exactly steak places, but you can get a steak if you want- Michael's Grill in Nichols Hills and Signature Grill in Edmond. The food and service should be pretty good at both.

while mahogany/ranch/red prime/bobs etc arent bad, i dont feel like i ever got my money's worth from them either. of those, i think bob's is the best. my favorite place to eat a steak is at home over charcoal or in the woods over some oak logs.

Firebird's in chisholm creek isnt bad for the price. its not prime, but it is wood fired.
I forgot about Signature Grill. That is our go to for Anniversary's and Birthdays. They have a really good Ribeye. The Filet is pretty decent too. Atmosphere is top notch. Owner is a sweet lady

I went to some place called red dirt or red rock or something in Norman...they sucked.
That’s probably the Red Rock Canyon Grill, near the Super Target on 24th north of Robinson. I ate there once, and all I can say is that I’m glad I wasn’t paying. They had some kind of sauce on the steak and the MUSIC WAS DEAFENING. Definitely not the place to go if you want a quiet meal.

FWIW, I think it’s a chain, as there’s one in Tulsa just north of the Creek Turnpike on the east side of the Arkansas.

My preference in OKC is Cattlemen’s. If you don’t want to wait, there’s usually seating available on the cafe side, so that’s usually where I end up.

My favorite place was the Cimmaron Steak House on Meridian, but I think the ‘Rona did them in. It wasn’t the absolute best steak, but it was the best steak for the money—better than average and the cheapest prices in town. As I recall, the most expensive steaks on the menu were under $20.

If you were here back in the ‘90s, I’d have recommended Cattle Rustlers. Their all you can eat steak proved Stalin’s maxim that quantity has a quality all its own…

I forgot about Signature Grill. That is our go to for Anniversary's and Birthdays. They have a really good Ribeye. The Filet is pretty decent too. Atmosphere is top notch. Owner is a sweet lady
Michael and some staff have a penchant for being complete assholes . Service and food haven’t ever been less than very good, for me anyway. The veal porterhouse made me track down a local veal source.

To clarify -I’m talking about Michael’s. The owner and his bartender are divas. The place is good though.

Last edited:
That’s probably the Red Rock Canyon Grill, near the Super Target on 24th north of Robinson. I ate there once, and all I can say is that I’m glad I wasn’t paying. They had some kind of sauce on the steak and the MUSIC WAS DEAFENING. Definitely not the place to go if you want a quiet meal.

FWIW, I think it’s a chain, as there’s one in Tulsa just north of the Creek Turnpike on the east side of the Arkansas.

My preference in OKC is Cattlemen’s. If you don’t want to wait, there’s usually seating available on the cafe side, so that’s usually where I end up.

My favorite place was the Cimmaron Steak House on Meridian, but I think the ‘Rona did them in. It wasn’t the absolute best steak, but it was the best steak for the money—better than average and the cheapest prices in town. As I recall, the most expensive steaks on the menu were under $20.

If you were here back in the ‘90s, I’d have recommended Cattle Rustlers. Their all you can eat steak proved Stalin’s maxim that quantity has a quality all its own…
Forgot about Cimarron Steak House. It was a great option for a good inexpensive steak with a nice atmosphere.

We do texas roadhouse most of the time. It's pretty rare that we're disappointed.

We did cattlemens almost weekly for years, ending probably 10 years ago. We started getting a mediocre steak here and there and slowed way down. The last few times we went it wasn't great. OK, but in our opinion less than or equal to roadhouse. And a 1/3 more expensive. I like their house beer, seems like it was a wheat, maybe.

What's the little place that's south of minco? Went there like 20 years ago and remember liking it.

These days I'll only get a steakhouse steak if someone else is paying or if I want a proper dry aged steak. Because of inflation, you end up paying way more in tips but it's not like you are getting more "service" than before. If anything service would be worse due to labor shortages and people not giving a fuck anymore about life. Yeah I'm a cheapass when it comes to tipping.

Sam's and Costco both sell prime grade beef that you can get on sale now that it's almost grilling season time.

That is actually not quite untrue…
I’d rather order a greasy cheeseburger at a restaurant and then grill a steak at home, as I’m usually let down with a steak I order.

Not a fan of cattleman's, I rank them 3/10.

my woman back then & me went there in 09', took my mom for her birthday dinner.

Mom had the ribeye, only steak she liked, my woman probably had the same, me I had a porterhouse.

The steaks looked excellent, seared perfect & rare exactly as we ordered, tender as hell.

But they were watery, not juicy, fucking watery like a lake watery and bland tasting as hell.

I've had a better tasting steak at texas roadhouse, and they rank 5/10.

I haven't had a restaurant/steakhouse steak in Oklahoma since 2017,

We were out on a ride & my woman wanted a steak for dinner, so we stopped in texas Roadhouse,

To me, for the $100 plus paid, the steaks were small, tasted ok, drinks mediocre, and it might just been the wait staff in that steakhouse, but the service ranks 2/10.

Had some excellent steaks in west texas & up Wyoming steakhouses.

Anymore I want steak I just sear one up at the house.

I think we're gonna try this Ken's sometime this month for "mother's day".
Do they really not have a menu?
I've heard it's just a waitress saying "you want sirloin, ribeye, or ribs?"